Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: gin

[ QUOTE ]
what about beefeater? I know nothing of gin.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have tasted it but I can't remember what it was like. I asked a couple of guys what gin they prefered and they said beefeater and something else I can't remember. So I think it's good.
I myself will be getting into gin. I enjoyed some cheap gin, larios, while at italy and I must say it was good.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:33 PM

I haven't tried Tanqueray Ten. Regular old Tanqueray is my default gin for G&Ts and the like. Sapphire is very good. It tastes like what gin should taste like, in my opinion. I tried Hendrick's for the first time recently and I love it. It has more cucumber flavor and less juniper than other gins.

Folks have mentioned some "cheap" gins here too, and I like those as well. I'm really fussy about beer but a lot less so about pretty much everything else. I drank a lot of Gordon's gin straight when I was in graduate school, especially during that dark period between girlfriends.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about beefeater? I know nothing of gin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clean strong flavor. Inexpensive. I love it.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:01 AM

I've also heard that Miller's gin is good. I'm not much of a gin person but Bombay Sapphire and Hendrick's are solid - haven't had a chance to get Miller's yet but it's in that price range. Hendrick's and Bombay are good enough to drink straight if I'm in the right mood but it's certainly a waste to make gin and tonic's with them IMO.

I also saw a bottle of $70 gin called Old Raj but couldn't justify spending that much on gin. Anyone here have it?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:49 PM

I just tried out Beefeater last night. It was pretty decent. It was inferior to the Sapphire, but it was pretty solid. I'll have to check out the price next time I go to see how its value stacks up.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just tried out Beefeater last night. It was pretty decent. It was inferior to the Sapphire, but it was pretty solid. I'll have to check out the price next time I go to see how its value stacks up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would expect the sapphire to be more expensive. I think sapphire is "too" subtle for gin. It comes from their distillation process which is slightly different to other gin production.

I have toured the Plymouth distillery. They sure know their stuff, and i recommend the tour.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:33 PM

Yeah, I know the Sapphire is more expensive, but I don't remember how much. If the Beefeater was, say, $10 cheaper, I'd say it'd be a pretty good buy. If it was $5, I'd probably stick w/ buying the sapphire.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know the Sapphire is more expensive, but I don't remember how much. If the Beefeater was, say, $10 cheaper, I'd say it'd be a pretty good buy. If it was $5, I'd probably stick w/ buying the sapphire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, i'll drink gin neat (which i effectively do in my martinis) and Sapphire is too damn weak. Mixing, then fine, go for it, but alone? Nah.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:05 PM

I buy the Sapphire for mixing and the Hendrick's for sipping neat (but I keep it in the freezer). I have a bottle of Citadelle gin lying around in my freezer, too. I didn't like it all that much; the Beefeater was better. I should probably kill it off in some G&T's or something.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I buy the Sapphire for mixing and the Hendrick's for sipping neat (but I keep it in the freezer). I have a bottle of Citadelle gin lying around in my freezer, too. I didn't like it all that much; the Beefeater was better. I should probably kill it off in some G&T's or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Citadelle is not particularly exciting imo. It's more interesting than, say, Baffert's...I just never find myself thinking it's ideal for a particular drink.

I like having Sapphire, Tanqueray, Hendrick's and Plymouth as standards, and there are a few others I'll pick up from time to time. Kensington's one I thought was interesting - it's Scottish (as is Hendrick's) and it's aged in oak barrels. I just found out that Anchor (makers of Anchor Steam beer and Old Potrero Rye) up in S.F. makes a gin, which I now need to try. Also on my list is the Cadenhead Old Raj - something just doesn't seem quite right to me about spending $60 on a 750mL of gin but I suppose I'll do it eventually.