Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Marijuana and Poker

Let's see...what are the negative side effects of smoking pot?

1) Short term memory loss.

Hmm...three hearts on the flop. Was my Q a heart or a spade? How can I check without giving off a tell? Oops, it's my turn now. I can't check now because everyone's looking at me. "Um. I call." Okay, I can check now because action isn't on me anymore. Damn. Two clubs. Hell. I don't even have a Q.

2) Paranoia.

Ahhh... pocket A's. "I raise". Cool. A reraise. "I'll cap." Three players into the flop. Hmm... a possible flush draw and a possible straight draw. "I'll bet". Oops, my opponent raised. He must have a set if he's going to raise my pocket A's like that. "I fold. Sorry..didn't mean to act out of turn."

3) Uncontrollable laughter.

You think it's a tell when I break into a laughing fit every time I flop the nuts?

4) Susceptibility to glare

I have a hard enough time seeing the board from the end of the table the way it is...

5) Cotton Mouth.

Ya, like I need any beer when I'm sitting at a poker table.

6) Nicotine cravings.

Being a former smoker, a nicotine fit will tilt me in a bad way.

7) Munchies.

Like sitting at a poker table is healthy. Let's add a pound of Doritos and see how my cholestorl level acts.

At least for me, reefer and poker do not mix.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:42 PM

My IQ gets chopped in about half when I get high. Prolly not good for poker lol.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:52 PM

i know I definitely play better after 2-3 drinks. After 5, though, and I really bad.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:06 AM

Ganja is best used as an antidote for bad beats. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2006, 02:39 AM

I play better heads up tanked. I usually won't remember playing and will wake up worried if I went through my whole role.

When high (which is rare) I am more focused but have memory problems. I don't have a high tolerence for weed which is a big problem
Old 06-17-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1 probelm with weed.... one of the reasons i stopped. my abilitiy to recall sucked. tho i agree about focusing. I used to smoke a lot because I was dealing with this bipolar [censored] and it blocks out [censored] and makes my mind stop doing whatever it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not smoke weed if you are bipolar! Worst idea ever!
Old 06-17-2006, 01:31 PM

I play poker high pretty often. I have been a consistent smoker for the last two years and I just feel a little more relaxed and in the zone when I play high. I don't think my EV changes much between me sober and high. I probably am high about 50% of the time I play. Right now I am 8 tabling NL600 with a decent winrate so life is good.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:02 AM

As far as helping your reads, I can definitely see where that is possible. I think this is one of many instances where the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell is relevant to poker. I am a little bit drunk (haha) to really expound but basically what you are saying is that your brain under the influence of THC becomes better at recognizing patterns and utilizing the subconscious. Your thought process is slowed down to a certain degree such that the valuable first instinct recognition becomes more prominent in your thinking.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 PM

playing high is definatly great...

I havent played high at a live cash game yet, but i'm sure the effects would be even greater... I realize now that when I'm high I definatly notice more things about people and the way that they act/move their body etc, and how it reflects on their thoughts and personalities, and stuff like that. very pyschological. Thats why i dont really smoke at parties anymore, because I get too analytical and not social. But for poker it is definatly amazing

I'm 20 and have been smoking weed since I was around 13, and at this point in my life I no longer just get "silly" anymore... actually the opposite happens, and I get more withdrawn and contemplative... I am a musican also, and this changes music in the "classic" way you've heard people talking about getting high and playing music etc...

but when I play NL high, I hear that "inner voice" a lot more clearly, and it seems to tell me the right things to do...
Old 06-26-2006, 01:57 PM

Appearently you missed the memo about Reefer Madness being a sham. I've been smoking for years. I continue to maintain a healthy, strong memory...because I utilize it regularly. I'm not paranoid and I rarely meet people that are when they smoke. The only laughter i'm having a problem trying to maintain is laughter at your embarrasing and false assumptions about pot. A glare? I see everything just fine. What does beer have to do with hydration? I drink water or tea. I want to smoke cigs when I want to smoke cigs, I'd never neglect that desire long enough to put myself on tilt. Munchies? come on. I quit gettin those in high school. Even if someone does eat Doritos while they're parked at a poker table. The only negative affect on the game would be orange finger prints. You have such a dated, drug propaganda driven perspective on the use of pot that it's almost not worth response to. (the value exists in the people that might actually seriously consider what you're saying)Try googling some UNBIAS sources and flap your gums when you have some valid information to provide.

As for my opinion regarding Marijuana and Poker. I'm a lot more level when I smoke and yes I do have better patience and concentration. Pot experiences in any aspect of our lives various user to user. If it works for you, great if not don't play when you're high. No one substance will effect everyone the same.

Samy