Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Metagame Question

Jake, do you really want them to remember that?

I mean, seriously, how often are you going to be raising with a _real_ powerhouse in UTG? 6-max is a game where we want our opponents to fold as much as possible, I'm pretty sure.

Doing anything to discourage this is very disruptive to our post-flop FE and therefore postflop EV.

I'm a huge amateur at 6-max so I'm quite possibly wrong about this.

--Dave.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jake, do you really want them to remember that?

I mean, seriously, how often are you going to be raising with a _real_ powerhouse in UTG? 6-max is a game where we want our opponents to fold as much as possible, I'm pretty sure.

Doing anything to discourage this is very disruptive to our post-flop FE and therefore postflop EV.

I'm a huge amateur at 6-max so I'm quite possibly wrong about this.

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG my VPIP is like 11% or less I think, I would love to encourage calls.

True
Old 06-09-2006, 06:53 PM

im 15/15 3 off the button.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just spoke with him, he said its not "real bad", sometimes he raises 87s but I think at higher levels Metagame is a greater consideration. I think however that if you did it 100% of the time, it would be a -EV play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop is actually quite significant, against a raise preflop I would c/r. Against a 3-bet I am not c/ring an average opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a complete unknown I probably do not c/r either. However there are a bunch of opponents who will fold to a turn bet too often even here and then it becomes good. Folding out the other guy might help for cleaning outs, etc. plus our equity is already pretty good.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, an individual hand is unlikely to create an image for you, unless it really stands out. What people will notice is if you've been running hot and betting and raising a lot, and also (I think) they'll tend to notice that you're tight if you're playing at a loose table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I think too. The reason I said I "pretty much" never do anything for image or Shania is because sometimes I will play a few extra hands if I have been completely card dead.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, like Scary Tiger said, this is a hand Button may in fact take great notice of. If he adjusts, the adjustment he'll make is that he'll start playing LAGgier, possibly against you specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree that if anybody notices, it will be button. But I wonder if they can remember all the way back to preflop. Sometimes I think that people treat preflop as like a "lets get this over with" so we can start playing. Also, multitablers may be too busy to keep track and there are those people who don't pay attention to anything but their own hand.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my case I would definitely notice, and remember it... although if your stats after a hundred or so hands was PFR 15% or thereabouts, I wouldn't start reraising to isolate, though I would keep in mind that you could be raising with a larger range of hands. I think there are lots of players who do this kind of thing intentionally to create an image, but I try to focus more on the hard stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

raytown and Mcgahee,

Intersting. I think it makes less sense to do this then since the people who tend to pay attention will also be the people who tend to have stats.