Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Defending my raise

Raising a weak bet like that on the flop when I raised pre-flop is pretty standard for me even when I miss. I'm risking about the same as a standard cbet, maybe a touch more, for a even bigger pot, which I take down suprisingly often.

However, I will say that when I get called is when I get myself into the most trouble double barrelling and the like [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I will say that when I get called is when I get myself into the most trouble double barrelling and the like [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. We should team up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2006, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. We should team up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually ask myself before raising this flop if K-high (with no draw) is worth losing 20+ or possibly 60+ in a $16 pot...
And then I fold. At least 80-90% of the time.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I usually ask myself before raising this flop if K-high (with no draw) is worth losing 20+ or possibly 60+ in a $16 pot...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I always fold aces preflop, too, cos it's not worth potentially loosing my stack in a 1.5BB pot.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I always fold aces preflop, too, cos it's not worth potentially loosing my stack in a 1.5BB pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean is that if donk bets into us after we raise pf, and we have zip at best, there is usually little use in trying to bluff the way out of it unless villain is TAG or very weak. And most opponents are either TAGs or that weak after donking into the pfr
Old 06-05-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And Aces are not the same as K-high.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would usually check here. People tend to 'make a decision' when raised on the flop like this and nothing has fallen off to make him reevaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you knew for sure he was on 67 or a flush draw? In both cases he won't fold if he hits some other outs, like with 67 if he hits another 6 or 7 he won't fold either. With a flush draw if he hits his ace he won't fold.

I guess if I had ace high I'd be more inclined to check it down and hopefully be ahead of his flush draw.

One nasty thing is I don't know if he's on the 67 or the flush draw. To get him off the 67 I'd have to bet the river even if it was a heart. If I'm going to check scare cards that doubles his outs. I have to check a 3,6,7,8,A, or heart.

So, it seems to me triple-barreling is bad here because of that uncertainty, but if the flop was a little more obvious about what draw he's on, triple barreling is probably +EV.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean is that if donk bets into us after we raise pf, and we have zip at best, there is usually little use in trying to bluff the way out of it unless villain is TAG or very weak. And most opponents are either TAGs or that weak after donking into the pfr

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a better argument. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] However, from a lot of players this kind of bet is a weak or marginal hand that they're willing to lay down, often middle pair or a small pp or just air. In this case raising is a good play. Raising here is standard for me and it's been profitable overall.

[ QUOTE ]
And Aces are not the same as K-high.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but +EV is +EV, regardless of whether you have the nuts or a bluff. It's nsg to focus on what you could loose, rather than on your expectation.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:25 PM

Why raise the flop? Unless you know he's a weak player. You have no draws except two overs.

Could someone explain to me why?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why raise the flop? Unless you know he's a weak player. You have no draws except two overs.

Could someone explain to me why?

[/ QUOTE ]

To make him fold a better hand.