Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Calling 2 bets cold on flop with nut low draw and backdoor flush draw

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Should this be played preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]Of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well, ok then. Cuz it looks to me like a trash trouble hand more ways than I can count*. Thanks for setting me straight.

* But I'll try: AQo is ok for high, but it's not suited. A8o is trash. A3s is suited and low, not bad. Q8s is a draw to the third-nut flush. Q3o and 83o are uber-trash. So, out of 6 possible combos you've got 3 that are playable, but easily counterfeited, and 3 that are terrible. This does not sound like a profitable hand to me, but I'm new to this game so feel free to correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime you have a suited Ace with a wheel card in these loose games it should be played.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Calling 2 bets cold on flop with nut low draw and backdoor flush draw

[ QUOTE ]
Anytime you have a suited Ace with a wheel card in these loose games it should be played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I see that as a general rule, but wouldn't it be better if you were in later position, if the ace wasn't suited WITH the wheel card, if the wheel card were the deuce, etc.? Also, not for nothing, if you're not going to be able to give it up on this flop (as the OP is clearly a beginner, like me, he's less likely to be able to do this), shouldn't the recommendation be to muck preflop?

(As an aside, I just got dealt AAAA...that's a preflop muck, right? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])
Old 06-03-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Calling 2 bets cold on flop with nut low draw and backdoor flush d

if my grandma had balls she would be my grandpa...

...it's a good call on the flop and it's good call btf (you could argue that it's even good enough to raise btf)
Old 06-03-2006, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah man those backdoor draws are alive and kickin. Those will come through and hold up a good .23% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how serious you are about this but it's the backdoors that could make this a very strong hand on the turn.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Calling 2 bets cold on flop with nut low draw and backdoor flush d

Ignoring the smartass who likes to rundown others opinions, the facts are simple. Anyone whose ever played O/8 knows, the pot is not won on the flop. Flopped hands rarely hold up. Any backup that you could possibly have is huge. I, personally, don't play that hand anywhere in early or middle position, but that wasn't the question. If an offsuit ace or 3 comes on the turn, it's highway time. But, just like your backup draws are concerned, that 8 can be pivotal in your hand as well. Apparently the smartass feels if an ace or 3 comes you are completely dead. This is obviously not a tight-aggressive game where every hand looks similar (a23j, a22q, a234).
-md
www.myspace.com/iambabyd
Old 06-03-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
* But I'll try: AQo is ok for high, but it's not suited. A8o is trash. A3s is suited and low, not bad. Q8s is a draw to the third-nut flush. Q3o and 83o are uber-trash. So, out of 6 possible combos you've got 3 that are playable, but easily counterfeited, and 3 that are terrible. This does not sound like a profitable hand to me, but I'm new to this game so feel free to correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like to break a hand down into it's various 2 card hands. I'd be surprised if any other Omaha player did either. Omaha is a 4 card game and each hand should be analyzed as such.

Like I said above, with the nut low draw and the various backdoors this could be a very good hand on the turn. Too many good holdem players make the mistake of folding too easily for the cheap bets on the flop. The turn is where the tough decisions are made.

Oh, and don't discount that [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] backdoor draw in this hand. It's not something that you'd draw to by itself but if the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] comes on the turn that backdoor could be the difference between getting 1/4 or 3/4. In a pot like this that's probably going to be pretty big that's a huge difference.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I, personally, don't play that hand anywhere in early or middle position, but that wasn't the question.

[/ QUOTE ]
Stopped reading after this.

I dont know what your arguing, but my point was that this is not an insta-call for the following reasons ...

1) You have very little for high
2) There is almost always another A3 in this instance. (bet,3 calls, raise, 3-bet)
3) You are not sure whether or not it will be raised behind you
4) Your pot odds are not tremendous
5) Your low might get counterfeited even if you make it

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, I should have known this ahead of time since you enjoy listening to Tori Amos.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:54 PM

A. That's actually funny. Most self-conscious egomaniacs aren't funny.
B. Does this mean I have a fan on here now, that you went so far to read my whole profile?
C. This crap doesn't belong on here, which was my point. Keep it to poker stuff. If you've got something else to say, PM me.
D. I don't discount your idea here, but consider the limit of the game. Not all of these people have hands.
-md
www.myspace.com/iambabyd