Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Best book to learn LAG style?

Books are useless. The best way to get LAG is to get out of your comfort zone and play more hands. In the beginning it will cost you, but it will be good for you in the long run.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:58 PM

Books are certainly not useless.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Who the hell is E-dog?

Who the hell is E-dog?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 AM

Out of curiousity, why do you want to learn LAG? To know more about your opponents, or to fine tune your game? There's nothing wrong with being TAG. Lower variance, and in the long run, just as profitable.
-md
www.myspace.com/iambabyd
Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 AM

Ahh that E-dog

Yea Eric's book. BTW that is the only real useful one of the whole series. Didn't like Antonio's book nor Sexton's (more like an infomercial)

SS is a laggy style.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:47 PM

I want to learn it in an effort to fine tune my game, like when your having one of those sessions where the best hand you've seen is A9o and the low number of starting chips couped with the fast-increasing blinds creates an environment where TAG may not be optimal. When I play in tournies with higher buy-ins, i usually stick to the TAG because you have a lot more time and chips to manuever, but in your typical low-stakes online SnG you can not always want around to play the TAG hands. I already know the pros, cons, and weapons of the LAG style, and also how to recgonize and defend against it but do not know how to execute it to perfection.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to learn it in an effort to fine tune my game, like when your having one of those sessions where the best hand you've seen is A9o and the low number of starting chips couped with the fast-increasing blinds creates an environment where TAG may not be optimal. When I play in tournies with higher buy-ins, i usually stick to the TAG because you have a lot more time and chips to manuever, but in your typical low-stakes online SnG you can not always want around to play the TAG hands. I already know the pros, cons, and weapons of the LAG style, and also how to recgonize and defend against it but do not know how to execute it to perfection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you know the pros and cons? From your description it doesnt sound like you do. If youve been card dead and you have a low stack in the face of increasing blinds, that is NOT the time to play LAG. LAG boils down to playing for implied odds and deception and you dont have the stack that can elicit big implied odds, and you cant afford to bleed away chips with limps and min-raises.

BTW, the Negreneau DVD "Advanced" section supposedly is good instruction for LAG. Personally I didnt find it as good as Lindgrens book, but I will admit I didnt watch too closely because I found the personality of the student annoying as hell.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stevie, thanks completely different... getting more aggressive when the blinds get bigger is not LAG, it's just survival..

harrington 1/2 (and presumably 3) and kill phil are excellent for what you want......

if you are at cash game and cards aren't hitting, no reason to open your starting range... although you should play alot more stuff in position as you can get in cheaply and it may help you get paid on your bigger hands (but don't overdo it).
Old 05-31-2006, 09:17 PM

I'd get Doyle Brunson's Super System. His no-limit hold 'em section is the virtual Bible for LAG hold 'em.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea Eric's book. BTW that is the only real useful one of the whole series.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. it's a solid read. Mason gave it a 7 and would have rated it higher if it had been thicker with more specific hand examples.