Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Default Best book to learn LAG style?

I am a fairly experienced poker player who plays a conservative style and I wanted to know what people thought was the best book available on the agressive/super agressive style for someone who knows the fundamentals but lacks the expertise to confidently execute it.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Best book to learn LAG style?

As far as I know, no books teach LAG play in any detail. Books are generally targeted at inexperienced players and suggesting to that audience a LAG style would be irresponsible. Another reason that books don't offer info on how to play LAG is because it is something that cannot be taught.

To play an effective LAG style you have to have the proper table conditions, superb hand reading skills, and be able to change gears at the drop of a dime. All these things come from experience, lots and lots of experience.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:56 PM

I can't recall a book that deals exclusively with LAG play but I know that Doyle Brunson has built his game around an aggresive style. You can check out Super System or Super System 2. I think of myself as a fairly good LAG player. The problem isn't with preflop play but focusing more on postflop play is where you will get rich or go broke so try to aim your studies towards postflop. Any 2 cards can be profitable at the right game and in the right situation. You just have to experiment. You'll experience a lot of swings in your bankroll while you're learning but once you get good at it the money will start rolling in. Just about any book has concepts that, with the right adjustments, could be built into a LAG style. I hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:58 PM

How conservative are you talking here? There can be quite a gap between conservative and LAG. You don't have to be an actual LAG to put over the impression that you are.

You have to get used to using aggression. The only way to do that is by actually doing it and becoming comfortable with it. Go into a low limit game and try raising alot more in situations instead of calling or limping.

b
Old 05-29-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I am a fairly experienced poker player who plays a conservative style and I wanted to know what people thought was the best book available on the agressive/super agressive style for someone who knows the fundamentals but lacks the expertise to confidently execute it.
E-dogs WPT book is the best Ive seen on "smallball" or "LAG". It has a lot of fluff but 30-35 pages of it are excellent if you dig into it. Its not laid out with examples like HoH, but it definitely teaches the essence of LAG.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:20 PM

sounds like super system is the best bet then?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like super system is the best bet then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not. SS and SSII is TAG plus some minor situational variations that DB likes. E-dogs book is a total LAG approach
Old 05-29-2006, 08:36 PM

Theory of Poker explains in great detail how to play agianst a LAG. By knowing how the average TAG tries to defend against a LAG you can adjust your LAG style gain an edge.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:51 PM

I would hardly describe SuperSystem's NL section as TAG. It's a form of LAG as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:14 AM

i think mentioned before, but erick lindgren book is LAG.

LAG requires really good reads on your opponents. not too many books get into that.

whenever i read books, i eventually get to the point of realizing there's a limit to how far you can take any of this unless you really get into reading hands and reading your opponents.

i think there needs to be more out there in terms of how to improve your hand reading, opponent reading and how to remember/analyze info better... there should be a book with good use of pokertracker and then how to keep general track of these stats when you're playing bricks'n'mortar.... i know wilson software newer versions has some quizzes on keeping track of your opponents.