Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Re: pokerdome

Hey guys, this is Paul Dreyer (Archimedean) from the show. I'll write more about the show later, but just as a clarification, I got my seat on the show because they did a random draw of folks who had put in contact info to be contacted when MansionPoker went online. It was a very surprising call last Monday, to say the least. Trust me, I am probably the least connected person to the industry that you can find. The rest of the table was a pretty incestuous bunch, though.

The first three rounds were 20 minutes, with the BB going up by 2k each round. Later rounds were going to be 15 minutes at Matt's discretion. I talked to Matt about the short chipstacks and suggested they should make them larger for future episodes. Based on how little gameplay there was on this episode, we'll see what happens.

There was probably at most 50 minutes of actual gameplay. They edited out a couple of hands (including a bluff of mine that actually worked, darn it!).

More later. Being Vegas and all, I got a total of eight hours of sleep, and it caught up to me about halfway into watching the show tonight.

Zzzzz,
Paul

P.S. MCS, who are you?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:11 AM

One other thing:

The copyright notice in the credits of PokerDome indicate that the entire show is a time buy, with MansionPoker.net owning the rights to the show and paying a substantial fee to put the show on FSN:

"Copyright 2006 MansionPoker.net"

FSN has switched to a time-buy model for poker shows that air after 11pm local time on Saturday and Sunday nights.

--

FSN poker shows for which FSN has actually paid a rights fee (Monte Carlo Millions, Poker SuperStars II and III) usually has the following in the credits:

"Copyright 2006 National Sports Programming"

National Sports Programming is the NewsCorp-owned corporate entity that distributes national backdrop programming to the FSN owned/operated and affiliated regional sports networks.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
seems like a great concept for the spectators that are there but so far the tv production has been crap-is anyone watchin this?
The spectators were actually sitting in a theater, watching the action displayed on a video wall, while the tournament took place inside a TV studio in another part of the building.

When the PokerDome in downtown Las Vegas opens in July, the spectators will actually be seated just outside a glass-enclosed TV studio where the action will take place. The one-way mirrored glass will allow spectators to watch the tournament, but the players will not be able to see the audience.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
When the PokerDome in downtown Las Vegas opens in July, the spectators will actually be seated just outside a glass-enclosed TV studio where the action will take place. The one-way mirrored glass will allow spectators to watch the tournament, but the players will not be able to see the audience.
Why? Will the audience be able to see the players hole cards?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The spectators were actually sitting in a theater, watching the action displayed on a video wall, while the tournament took place inside a TV studio in another part of the building.
Actually, the audience and players were just separated by one of those separating walls you see in convention halls and a lot of draping. We couldn't see or hear the audience (except when Brian caught his flush and when the nine hit to knock me out). It is clear the Tropicana is a stopgap situation, and they still have some things to fix.

I felt bad for the audience having to sit through the live-to-tape bit (although they did cut a few hands from the broadcast), since there were tons of pauses/delays. Many of them had left by the time I was out.

The audio turned out much worse than I thought it would, and the commentators talked over most of our conversations, anyways, but don't worry. Except for me, the players weren't saying much, so you didn't miss anything.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Why? Will the audience be able to see the players hole cards?
This was actually one of the more interesting things from the show from the audience standpoint. The deck (which, if you ever see a side shot of it, is about 50% taller than a usual deck) is made up of cards that have RFID chips in them. There are sensors at each seat that read the cards, so the audience immediately knows who has what. For security, they tried to clear the lobby when we ran to the bathroom during a break, but in the end, it was more of an on your honor thing.

The decks were ABSURDLY expensive, and not 100% error-proof. You might have noticed during the broadcast that there was a hand where one of Jonathan's cards did not show up on the monitors.

They have a few bugs to still work out, as some of you have already noted.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:04 PM

Show sucked, I tivo'd it and about 20 minutes into it deleted it.

I don't want to spend 2 hours watching unknown players play badly unless it's in a cash game on the strip and I have them all covered.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:34 PM

I saw last end part. Seems like some serious poker being played. The women who won had the nut flush and thought she had to split the pot becasue another heart came on river putting 4 hearts on board, she had A4 heart lol.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. MCS, who are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

(I PM'ed you.)