Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Serious hand pain - Need some ergonomic help.

I've started getting hand pain in my mouse hand aswell so I've started to look at the two mice Jrecommended here. Just a couple more questions for you guys: The 3m mouse joystick thing looks like it would take a while to get use to. How easy is it to control? Also, I've shopped around but can't find any place with a good deal on these. Someone hook me up with a link?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:40 AM

Based on the advice from this thread, I got the 3M joystick mouse. Its super easy to get used to because the joystick part doesnt move, you just hold on to the that and move the whole thing. So in other words, there is an optical sensor on the bottom of the it, and moves just like a regular mouse. I still have some irritation occassionally, but the pain is 75% gone. I'd get this way before the evoluent, it really helped me a lot. Get a microsoft natural keyboard too. I still have a logitech trackball hooked up for my left hand, so I can use both mice whenever, switching it up helps a lot too.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:56 AM

I'll go ahead and make my stretching post again, it's been awhile:

1st stretch, place palms and fingertips together at eye level. Slowly stretch hands towards floor, pushing elbows out and keeping the palms together. It looks like the hindu goddess when you're in the right position.

2nd stretch, ball your fists and put your first knuckles (the ones that connect fingers to hands) on your thighs, near the knee. Push forward slowly, keeping fists closed and arms straight. You feel this in the muscle in the back of your wrist. I feel it mainly in the outer muscle but YMMV.

As with any stretches, take it easy at first and continue to breathe normally or a little deeper than normal during the stretches. Hold the stretches for a 10 count, release and "shake it out".

I'm not a doctor or anything, I'm a construction worker who does repetetive stress vocationally. These stretches were taught to me by a musician who also has RSI. They have helped me a great deal, I have no RSI symptoms anymore and mine ranged from complete numbness while driving to excrutiating pain. I haven't undergone any other therapy.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:58 AM

Thanks smoore, I'll try those before shelling out $80 on a mouse.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:23 AM

just buy the damn mouse. $80 is nothing considering you won't be able to play any poker if you lose your wrist.

I've been suffering from this CTS pain as well and I got the v.mouse, and most of the pain is gone now.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:31 AM

Yes, but my pain has just started in the past couple of days. No reason to not try the stretches first. Its not like I'm going to cripple myself in a week.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:18 AM

I don't know if this will address your particular problem but it certainly eliminated hand and wrist pain for me.

It is quite simple.

I use an optical mouse on a white bedroom pillow on my lap. The pillow supports my arm from wrist to fingers and works fine with an optical mouse.

Always be folding

Folding Pete
Old 05-23-2006, 10:34 AM

Get these at any drugstore:

Will save thousands in medical bills for Carpal Tunnel.
I almost could not use my hand from the pain.
Doctor said try this first. Worked like a charm.
Must have "spoon" (metal insert) in it to work properly.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the advice from this thread, I got the 3M joystick mouse. Its super easy to get used to because the joystick part doesnt move, you just hold on to the that and move the whole thing. So in other words, there is an optical sensor on the bottom of the it, and moves just like a regular mouse. I still have some irritation occassionally, but the pain is 75% gone. I'd get this way before the evoluent, it really helped me a lot. Get a microsoft natural keyboard too. I still have a logitech trackball hooked up for my left hand, so I can use both mice whenever, switching it up helps a lot too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to hear the 3M mouse worked out for you. That mouse is totally awesome [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]