Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Question about Commerce area

Holy smokes! 60 minutes to get 18 miles?!!!

You guys need jet packs out there!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of building going on, but right now there aren't any supermarkets, restaurant choices are either upscale or downscale with little in between, and there's still a homeless problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all incorrect, except for the last part. The Little Tokyo district in downtown has moderate prices in apartments, 3 supermarkets (including a large one with everything you'd ever need), plenty of restaurants and bars, and a safe vibe. Homeless people, yes, but welcome to LA....

Check it out when you visit. Walk around 1st and 2d streets between San Pedro and Alameda. Also, the big supermarket is in the mall on Alameda b/w 3d and 4th st.

And I think you asked earlier about whether it has a touristy feel.....not really. Chinatown, yes. But Little Tokyo, no.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the correction. My loft is right opposite Staples, so quite a bit south of Little Tokyo.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:38 PM

1) Whittier - but that does isolate you getting around the rest of LA. Since Poker is king for you - no big deal.
2) Montebello and the note about the food is correct - lots of good oriental oriented options.
3) The Commerce Hotel itself. No commute - decent food - and a do not disturb sign. What else do you need?
Old 05-22-2006, 02:19 PM

Alhambra and South Pasadena are both great areas, alot of good restaurants, shopping, and about 15-20 minutes from Commerce and The Bike.

Typical rent is around 800-1000 for a one bedroom
Old 05-22-2006, 02:41 PM

I live in alhambra (north of both the bike and commerce about 15-25 min la traffic drive). Pasadena is another 10 minutes north of me and I think has everything you are looking for.

Check out Green st, Colorado blvd. Marango, and Los Robles.

If you plan on just playing poker it is easy to avoid the traffic times and generally conicides with your games selection. The bike and commerce are right off the freeways so accesibility is ideal.

A few people have mentioned downey and norwalk, neither area is terrible but for a "snob" it might not suite your fancy. Downtown downey has an embassy suites which might fit the bill and keep you off the freeways.

word of advice. suck it up and deal with the traffic because the weather makes it worth it.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:54 PM

I would stay away from living in Little Tokyo...My friend has a condo a few blocks away from there and you have homeless people hanging out your front door...I'm japanese and i only go down there to eat/drink.

Pasadena is pretty nice! alot of night life and cool bars..
Alhambra...UM..i lived here all my life and its ok...alot of chinese places to eat...
Check out long beach...Alot of night life and close to seal beach.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all honesty, Vegas would be the LAST place I'd go to play poker (see my recent post on my vist to Vegas last week). There are other good places to play however.

Also, Commerce offers steady higher stake games than I'd be able to play elsewhere. This makes up for the higher C.O.L. But I do appreciate the input. I have a feeling LA is not a great place to live.

[/ QUOTE ]
I totally agree with this post. No poker room in vegas even compares with commerce. I only like vegas for football/ncaa
Old 05-22-2006, 03:52 PM

Thanks eamata -

I think some may have taken my "snob" comment a bit too seriously. I don't need anything posh. Just a decent, relatively crime free area. I don't want to awaken to gun shots every night or have to step over homeless people every time I walk out the door. As to traffic...

I used to spend a lot of time in Chicago which is said to have two seasons: Winter season and construction season. So it's not like I am totally unused to big city traffic. But from what I hear it sounds like LA is a few magnitudes worse than any other city. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into them.

Btw- Are you saying the weather in LA in nice? I thought the best you could hope for is a hazy day. The few times I've been there have confirmed that. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:21 PM

Weather in L.A. is superb, but lately it's been raining more than usual it seems. Probaby cause of the polar ice caps or something. But it's always like that in spring. However, when it does rain, L.A. is like a 3rd world country I swear. Power outages, serious irrigation issues on the streets, and people out here acting like they've never been in rain before.

L.A. is hazy during the morning sometimes but man when things heat up, the women can't help but take off a few layers...and that's when I'm in heaven. Dunno what that would do for you in the poker room though. The fat slobs would just be exceedingly musty.