Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 AM

Default Re: 2/4 - Good induced bluff, or costly free card?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
E,

Would you really ever check the flop here? Seems like that's a very easy way to pay 2 bb like every time against an A, rather than 1.5, with no gaurentee of making any more against inferior hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always check the flop in this situation.

Good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting because I've thought about this situation a bit too and notice that there are a bunch of benefits to checking.

You can get away from your hand sometimes without paying anything if it goes bet/raise on the turn for instance.

As you move higher up in limits it probably makes more sense to check because opponents will be less likely to continue without a pair. I'd be more inclined to bet if the middle card was something like a Ten instead of a Six as well since it pairs more hands.

WD's point about paying more against an ace is true, but if you plan on calling down a checkraise, this itself will probably come close to negating that extra SB. It also may allow you to pick up some bluff bets that would have otherwise folded to a flop bet. Similarly, it might let villain hit a pair on the turn and now he will either bet or call your bets when he would have folded to a flop bet.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:55 AM

Good line to get to showdown.

With a villan with those stats - a turn checkraise might be coming your way - and you'd be faced with an unpleasant decision.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 AM

i wouldn't have thought of it, but that is a perfect flop for a check. the way you played it is okay. these spots come down to the opponent for me. in other words, i don't have a static line.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 AM

I think it's okay. Since you checked the turn you should call the river to keep him honest. And, if you had bet the turn, it'd be good to check through behind on the river.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:12 PM

Would Bet-Bet-Bet necessarily be bad. There are more ways that the opponent is behind you than ahead of you even if he calls all the way to the river.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:27 PM

it all really comes down to the opponent, seeing that he is a fish, lol jk, loose passive i would think that you should bet the flop and he will call you down with an A, strong A he will re raise you, so check the turn call the river seems correct
Old 05-22-2006, 03:02 PM

i play this, usually, as played. i guess the primary reason is i'm not at all comfortable with an ace (weak or strong) or air raising me on the turn. i want to get this to showdown as cheaply as possible 'cause any really senible player would fold to my bet on the flop. only non-sensible players, very good players or those that have me beat call the flop bet. all of those categories give me pause and i hope i'm up against a non-sensible player, and, i don't like giving the very good player a chance to put a play on me...
Old 05-22-2006, 03:53 PM

Why do we want to get to a cheap showdown here? Not challenging - just asking.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WA/WB means "Way Ahead/Way Behind." It is a standard move that an opponent might take with a weak A here, whereby the check-call the flop and turn and value-bet the river. The idea behind the play is that it maximizes value against hands like KK (it doesn't give an easy opportunity to fold) while only loses the minimum against a bigger hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deranged,

This is a standard move an opponent might make when playing a WA/WB hand OOP? Knick's c/c, c/c, b/f?

When is it a good idea for us to play this way? Should Knick have played this hand this way if didn't have position?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would Bet-Bet-Bet necessarily be bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excelent question, as that's probably how I would have played this hand.

If my opponent is trying to draw then I want to make him pay, if all he has is a smaller pair then I want to milk him, and if he has an ace, well, then I'm going down in flames.