Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: $215 Speed Hand #5: Playing AKs on the bubble against...another idiot.

(blind)

I don't like your raise preflop because you don't put any pressure on him to fold any hand, period. You have to raise more to narrow, hopefully, some of his holdings, but I would think you probably know that.

my first play is going to push this flop pretty much all day long as I don't mind taking it down, and I don't mind a donkey calling with a flush draw of his own.

I like the C/R play here also. You have a monster hand at this point with the two overs and the nut flush draw. If he is aggressive you get him to commit chips to the pot and then put him to the test for all his chips.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Re: $215 Speed Hand #5: Playing AKs on the bubble against...another id

[ QUOTE ]
It's the bubble. Villain's an idiot. If all the chips go in it's disastrous.Who even knows if your A or K are clean outs. What's all this talk about how to get the chips in?

Check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are joking right?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sign me up for curtains' massive allin overbet. Checkraise allin a close second. The problem with checking is twofold, first he may check behind which would be annoying and second he may overbet the pot and commit himself anyway. Also one interesting psychological thing I don't think anyone has raised is whether you're likely to piss the guy off by checkraising him. It's possible you'll irritate him enough to snap you off where he would have just folded if you open pushed? I dunno sounds a little implausible but I think it's a small factor.

I don't see the point of minraising preflop. I would just make a standard size raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasnt a min raise it was a 2.5x BB raise, actually similar to the raise that I'd make.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:57 PM

I would never check call here and I think it would be a huge mistake. I like curtains line of open pushing here because checking can lead too 2 bad outcomes, either he overbets and I loose all fold equity or he checks behind and I risk a blank falling on the turn.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoah!

[/ QUOTE ]

You gonna bluff call him?

I like Curtains's line most. The c/r just seems to risky to me. Let's move in.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's the bubble. Villain's an idiot. If all the chips go in it's disastrous.Who even knows if your A or K are clean outs. What's all this talk about how to get the chips in?

Check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are joking right?

[/ QUOTE ]

1,) You have A-high at the moment.
2.) A call will very likely slow him down on the turn and you get to see two cards anyway.
3.) Survival takes priority over chips on the bubble when Villain is an idiot.
4.) He could very well pay you off anyway if you hit.
5.) What's he calling with that you are a big favorite against?

Old 05-21-2006, 03:38 PM

this is a very interesting hand to me. i didn't realize that open-pushing was a viable option with 5x pot. i would have c/r'ed ai. i don't really see anything wrong with the shove, but it's not really in my bag of tricks.

[ QUOTE ]

if you're not playing against someone who's going to push when you check to him (ie, he's going to bet many hands with a checkraisable bet), then cring is fine. if you're playing curtains, push. pushing is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

cit, it sounds like you're saying that a lot of villains will push if you check to them. is that right? is it correct for them to do so? if so, what kinds of hands should they be doing it with?
Old 05-21-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1,) You have A-high at the moment.
2.) A call will very likely slow him down on the turn and you get to see two cards anyway.
3.) Survival takes priority over chips on the bubble when Villain is an idiot.
4.) He could very well pay you off anyway if you hit.
5.) What's he calling with that you are a big favorite against?

[/ QUOTE ]
You realise all of us who like CR'ing all in is not doing it hoping villain will call right? So point 5) is mute. A CR all in has lots of FE and even if villain calls we are probably not in very bad shape. A bad aggro villain is probably not slowing down on the turn when we check to him the second time, so I think you are being optimistic predicting we will get to see 5 cards.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:25 PM

s,

many opponents will make their only sized bet in this situation all-in, for the same reason that curtains prefers to lead all in. it is not easy to play on the bubble with marginal hands when you never have folding equity. so yes, many people will not make a bet here if checked to that is not all in.

citanul
Old 05-21-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
s,

many opponents will make their only sized bet in this situation all-in, for the same reason that curtains prefers to lead all in. it is not easy to play on the bubble with marginal hands when you never have folding equity. so yes, many people will not make a bet here if checked to that is not all in.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems like a pretty bad play if you have something like TPNK. and you do have FE if you make a normal bet. by making a normal bet you also give yourself to win a smaill/medium pot with top pair vs 2nd pair.