Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Play the WSOP ME or take the 10K in cash? hrmmm..

take the $10k in cash. at least if you do decide to play the ME, you can wear whatever you want.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:07 PM

Take the cash and play in a smaller buy-in event. Best of both worlds.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:10 PM

I'm assuming you're a good player so you are +ev in the main event. That means, in the long run, you get back your 10k entry "and then some".

So it all comes down to how big your bankroll is and whether your BR can handle the variance. The MTT FAQ recommends 50-100 buyins for an MTT bankroll, which would be like $500k-$1000k.

That's a lot, obviously, but that is to make sure you don't go broke if you play 10k events regularly, which you don't do. So you can safely gamble with less if it's a one-time fun thing. But $500k should still give you a ballpark idea of where your BR "should" be to play in this game, and if your BR is much less than that, it should set off warning bells that the main event variance may hurt you more than the potential upside can help you.

Basically, if 10k is a decent chunk of your BR, it can probably help you more if you "invest" it in daily play rather than in the main event. I have discussed this very topic with several friends, and have always said that I think taking the seat over the 10k is a mistake unless you have a large roll.

But there's another consideration that points the other way. If you're young and don't have many financial responsibilities, you should be more risk-seeking. If you can score a multimillion payout from the main event, that will change the next 60 years of your life a lot more than an extra 10k will.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:13 PM

"Basically, if 10k is a decent chunk of your BR"

Did you read the part where he was talking about the 'hardship' of having to pay his own transport, lodging and food after he won a freaking WSOP ME seat?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:21 PM

That sounds like a definite yes. But if I was trying to convince a poker site to give me an extra $1000, I would claim hardship even if I were a millionaire.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:33 PM

I won a similiar seat last year. All I got was the buy-in, no hotel, no spending money nothing.

Im glad I went because it was a really fun experience, and its cool to say you were in the world series, and see yourself on TV and stuff. That said, if the 10K would have given me a bankroll I needed, or finiancially it could have done a lot for me, then I definitely think taking the 10K is the thing to do. 10K is a lot of [censored] money if you dont have any, and cashing in the WSOP ME is a lot like playing the lotto.

Also, an option, is take the 10K and play in one of the $1500 events, you will get the same experience, and still have a ton of cash left over for other needs.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:37 PM

Cash and it isn't even close. Or go play in some magical tournament for three days, get knocked out, pissed off, fly home angry and tell everyone "I PLAYED IN THE WSOP!"

Which means a lot.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:58 PM

Ironically enough, Absolute called me this morning to confirm my attendance and I told them I am going to play.

If it matters, I'm 25 and have a regular job that pays 42K. Poker is something on the side that I love to do when I get home and I'm +9K this year. I have zero debt other than car and house. I'm engaged to be married early next year which her father is paying for. We've been to Vegas before. I've never entered an event with a bigger buy in than $162.00. This is the opportunity of a lifetime and I'm going to take advantage of it. If I bust, I bust and can say I played the WSOP ME in 2006 and then we'll try again next year! Thanks for all the replies!

I wasn't expecting AP to come back and say they'd give me expense money, but if you don't ask, you don't get. I had to make it sound believeable. They did however say if you make it to Day 3, they pick up Hotel costs and food.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM

Good luck then man. Hope you are least cash.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:37 PM

personally, if i were you i would have taken the 10k cash because you know you are going to donk out of that thing within the first 2 hours. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]