Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Re: How many of you started as online gamers?

used to play Age of Empires - any players here?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:00 PM

heh, to think... I probably used to rail some of you n00bs in RA3. That was the BEST rocket arena game... RJ, insta-switch, rail from air. pwned: game, set, match.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:34 PM

Translation please.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:22 PM

first i was obsessed with UO, then quake 3, now poker
Old 05-13-2006, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Translation please.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, hmmm...

RA3 = rocket arena three. A mod for quake3 where teams are set against each other, last man standing wins the round for his team. You can play it 1v1 all the way up to 8v8. Maybe higher but the guys I played with wouldn't have any of that... 6v6 was "perfect" on the maps. Played in sets, typically 2/3 or 3/5. There are no "reload" armor, weapons or health in the arena (like there usually are in deathmatch or CTF competitions). You use what you start with until it's gone, server admin determines amount. Unlike CTF (capture the flag), these games are usually everyone rushing together and fighting like hell... they take 90 seconds to 5 minutes depending on the players. It's OMG!!!111!!!one fun.

RJ = rocket jump = pointing the rocket launcher at the ground and firing it as you jump. Have lots of armor and health. Sends you 60+ feet in the air if you do it right. Wheeeee! People that are good at it can not only attain max height but they can choose the direction they jump. (google quakedonequick for the masters of rocketjumping... they have movies)

Rail = railgun. does 120 points of damage on whatever pixel you have your crosshair. It's the sniper rifle. Max health without buffs or armor is 100. At the end of an RA3 match, a typical fish will have 0 armor and about 70 health if he's been hiding. He's meat if you can hit him with the rail.

insta-switch = Q2 had a horrible "weapon change time" that most every player hated. Q3 had a much shorter one, RA3 eliminated it altogether. RocketLauncher to Rail in 0.01 seconds. We all bound a key to get to our favorite weapons right around the movement keys.

pwned = pwned

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, OP... I may install RA3 and see what those pros have in store for a fish like me after 4 years of not playing. pwned.

edit: on any "real man's" server, rocketjumping took health and armor (you could set it so self-damage was off). So basically, if you're RJ'ing to rail some n00b, you KNOW you're going to kill them *before* you take the damage from hitting the ground. I remember one of these moves I pulled when after taking off I had 31 health and a hella RJ (oh [censored])... I nailed d00d with my rail which caused him to die *before* I crumpled to the ground dead from the impact. Time counts.

edit again: it's the 6max of quake.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:41 PM

i use to play tribes, one of the best games ever

and also cs. started playing back in like beta 3, still remember when the colt had the scope, good times
Old 05-14-2006, 12:03 AM

my first $50 deposit came from selling diablo 2 items on ebay [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2006, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played the first one for a good few years.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played the first one for a good few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

this post reminded me to check on an AOE fansite I haven't been to in a couple of years. Turns out they are shutting down CD matchmaking on the zone in a month. End of AOE multiplayer [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2006, 03:02 AM

nope - didn't play a single online game growing up -

try tailoring your questions to fit someone over 21 - LOL - I played wargame and military strategy games (sometimes on my own playing both sides - seeing if history replayed the same way when I made most of the same moves.)

Rb