Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Results

I thought BB was TAG. But he did not cap JJ preflop. So my read was wrong.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought BB was TAG. But he did not cap JJ preflop. So my read was wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
dont forget the questionable call of the river CR!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 PM

I like the c/c, c/c, c/r line here. Keeps the value in and It's difficult to get 3bet by AK when you wait this long...

I'm guessing you cry if villain 3bets?

JT
Old 05-03-2006, 07:30 PM

Well that would imply BB has AK (it's kinda hard to imagine button smoothcalling AK on the river), which I thought wasn't possible cos he didn't cap preflop. So a 3-bet would usually be AT. But of course I'd call it.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:19 PM

Default Re: 100/200 Party. Big trap.

I bet the flop a lot also, however you need to remember that the hero was 4 bet pre-flop. If that wasn't the case, a check on the flop would seem much more suspicious. It is natural to check a flop to someone who has capped. The problem is, the capper probably has a big pair, and since the hero 3 bet preflop, the capper checked behind on the flop fearing the ace. A big pair would probably bet the turn and check the river if called.

edit. I read the results after posting this and see that the BB fell into the trap, so your play did gain you an extra bet.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: 100/200 Party. Big trap.

I think the entire postflop action is questionable.

First, the flop. Given that it's been capped 3-ways, you're probably better off just betting the flop. I can certainly see an argument that a check-raise may be in order too as many cappers will bet any flop. If you knew before this hand that this guy does not do this, then betting the flop would be much better than checking.

Second, the turn check. Very risky in light of the fact that the button didn't bet the flop. Again though, I can see that this doesn't get checked through that often so you will certainly get to check-raise a fair amount of the time. I don't mind a check, but I think betting is probably better. Another close decision for me.

Now, after you check and get the perfect action of bet-call back to you, I think you need to raise. Would you check-raise KQ here? I doubt it. You'd expect to be called down. That's exactly why you should raise for value now. If you are going to fold everyone with a raise, then the river is quite likely to be checked through anyways.

Then the river... checking is again very risky. It's too likely that you are looking hands like JTs and KK that won't bet. I prefer a river bet.

You are taking a lot of risk to try to trap the button for an extra bet, but you may be giving up huge value when they have hands that will call down a raise but will check through if given the opportunity. You are putting as many as 4 BB at risk here.

I think the moral of the story is that it is usually an unecessary risk to try to trap when the pot has been built up like this. When you bluff at pots like this, don't you constantly shake your head at the unbelievable calldowns you face? Don't you think... "you have to be kidding me! how can he call?"... well, calling is what most poker players do best. Even in big games. And frankly, with aggression off the charts these days, it's not that bad a strategy. Make them pay when you have it.

good luck.
Eric