Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Sniper vid from Afghanistan. NSFW and gorey (not gorie).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The .50 caliber is very powerful, but will not rip a person to pieces at a very long distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've obviously never fired the 50 CAL.

...and, yes, I have. Many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, Canadian snipers have set the record for longest distance recorded kills. The after effects photos on their Taliban targets can be found.

[/ QUOTE ]I was under the impression that a Marine sniper in Iraq has the "record" for longest sniper kill.

Regardless, would you mind posting some links?
Old 05-04-2006, 02:38 AM

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/713521/posts

If you google some of the sniper websites, they will have lots of information on it too. Soldier of Fortune did an extensive article.

The previous record was held by the legendary Marine Sniper Carlos Hathcock, who took out a VietCong with a 50 caliber who was brushing his teeth on a hill at around 1.5 miles.

The standard American sniper is armed with a .308 caliber weapon, so effective shots don't go beyond a 1000 yards.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you shoot a pig with a .50 cal?

[/ QUOTE ]

For fun!! Spent a long time in southern Afghanistan and remote regions in Africa (including Johannesburg, RSA, where you'll learn anything to do with guns) where we'd shoot game with all sorts of stuff. .50cals, M60s and everything else. hollow head 9mm where we'd fill the head with mercury and cap it with wax, which will leave a pretty big hole in whatever you hit coz the heated mercury burns like an acid, as well as poison the target if they don't die from the impact. I only did the mercury thing once coz it will ruin any barbeque plans, not like there's much meat left after you hit a pig with a .50cal or unload a M60.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you shoot a pig with a .50 cal?

[/ QUOTE ]

For fun!! Spent a long time in southern Afghanistan and remote regions in Africa (including Johannesburg, RSA, where you'll learn anything to do with guns) where we'd shoot game with all sorts of stuff. .50cals, M60s and everything else. hollow head 9mm where we'd fill the head with mercury and cap it with wax, which will leave a pretty big hole in whatever you hit coz the heated mercury burns like an acid, as well as poison the target if they don't die from the impact. I only did the mercury thing once coz it will ruin any barbeque plans, not like there's much meat left after you hit a pig with a .50cal or unload a M60.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow
Old 05-04-2006, 03:12 AM

Douchebag Alert
Old 05-04-2006, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People really think being hit with a .50 cal bullet will fling a man's body straight up in the air? No wonder so many people believe the official story about 9/11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if the guy was wearing the "traditional" vest full of explosives it's certainly plausible. You jump to conclusions wayyyyyyy too quickly especially when it comes to something you seem to have NO experience at. That being said it seems pretty clear to me this is a varmint hunt, but not for the reasons you stated. Keep in mind I'm not disagreeing with what you say about bodies flying but I don't think it's definitive proof. I believe it's a varmint hunt because of the relative size of the vegetation nearby.

BTW, this is what a 22-50 ( a .22 caliber bullet) can do

http://www.dogbegone.com/video/opening1.wmv

http://www.dogbegone.com/video/humor1.wmv

http://www.dogbegone.com/video/gutless1.wmv

http://www.dogbegone.com/video/maxcarn1.wmv

Pretty amazing what a .22 can do isnt it?

This is what a .30 caliber bullet can do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnDuvrCVB_A

The .50 BMG is a MUCH MUCH bigger bullet and has a LOT more gunpowder behind it. Some of these bullets actually contain high explosives. And lets not forget that the targets are *often* carrying RPG's, grenades, and other explosives. So jumping to conclusions as quickly and as strongly as you do is a bit obtuse.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe it is against the geneva convention to use that round on a person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Myth. While the primary purpose of the fifty is as an anti-armor or anti-material weapon, the Army JAG has issued a statement that it is well within the rules of engagement to employ it's use on personnel, although it is rather wasteful to fire high explosive rounds meant for disabling armor on a person, it is certainly within the scope of use if the situation calls for it.

After all, the AC-130 engages personnel routinely with 105mm, 40mm and 25mm cannons.......and those make the 50 cal round look like a pea shooter.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if the guy was wearing the "traditional" vest full of explosives it's certainly plausible.

[/ QUOTE ]
The video has audio. Are the Afghanis now using silent explosives that I'm not aware of?
If that were a man in the first kill shot, he would have effectively been flung about 20 feet straight up in the air and you've still provided no proof that this is possible.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People really think being hit with a .50 cal bullet will fling a man's body straight up in the air? No wonder so many people believe the official story about 9/11.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can people be banned for pure and repetitive stupidity?

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously...
Old 05-04-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the sniper rifles I was told fires a tungsten steel rod with an explosive on the back end, so the steel rod punctures anything, like tank armor for instance, and then the explosion follows into the hole of whatever the steel rod punctured.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found two .50 cal ammunition types listed that are similar to what you are talking about.

The Raufoss Round:

"Raufoss Multipurpose (armor-piercing, explosive, incendiary) Ammunition. The crown jewel of 50 caliber sniper rifle ammunition is the Raufoss multi-purpose round, developed by a Norwegian company and manufactured under license by several companies, including Winchester. Said by experts to be the most popular round with U.S. military snipers, it was used to devastating effect by U.S. forces in the 1991 Gulf War."

According to the Marine Corps, the Barrett "M82A1A...fires the .50-caliber RAUFOSS ammunition, which contains a tungsten penetrator and a more powerful explosive charge than the API ammunition...it has penetrated an inch of steel at 2000 yards." Jane's International Defense Review estimates that the round is "probably capable of disabling a man wearing body armor who is standing behind the wall of a house at 2,000m.... (and) can perforate the foundation of a high-rise building (20cm reinforced concrete) at 400m." Reasonable persons probably would agree that blasting through 20 centimeters (7.87 inches) of reinforced concrete from four football field's distance is an impressive performance.

The SLAP (Saboted Light Armor Penetrator):
Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (SLAP) Ammunition. Designers of anti-armor ammunition have long used the idea of replacing a given caliber gun's projectile with a projectile of smaller diameter but more dense material. In order to seat the smaller projectile in the larger ammunition case, and to gain the necessary spin from the gun's rifled barrel, the projectile is wrapped in a "sabot" or "shoe." The shoe rides the length of the gun's barrel, then drops away from the projectile when it exits the barrel. The much higher velocity of a "saboted" round enhances its armor-piercing performance.

The U.S. Marine Corps developed 50 caliber SLAP ammunition in the 1980s, and it was used in 1991 during the Gulf War's Operation Desert Storm. It uses a .30 inch heavy metal (tungsten) penetrator in a plastic shoe, which is .50 inch in diameter. "Since the mass of the saboted penetrator is much lighter in weight than normal ball .50 caliber ammunition, SLAP's velocity can be significantly and safely increased," according to the Marine Corps. "This produces a very fast round with a very flat trajectory which enhances hit probability...and extends the light armor capability...significantly."

According to Winchester, the civilian contractor that developed the 50 caliber SLAP round, it delivers "superior and proven performance against lightly armored vehicles and armoured attack helicopters at ranges up to 1500 meters."

Data/pictures quoted from:
A Handful of .50 Cal Ammo