Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2006, 10:40 PM

Default Re: 1/2: 109s straight flush draw

Let me take a shot at why Shillx suggested a raise PF. This hand is really being played for hope of hitting a good draw on the flop due to being a suited connector. You already have 4 players that will call another bet when you raise and you have the best possible position. With enough players in the pot you want to knock out the blinds who might potentially hold better drawing hands than yours. At the end of this hand you are up against the BB who might have a higher flush or a boat. A raise up front might have been enough to knock him out.

The turn and river plays look good, but I might have botched this entire post.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:43 PM

Grunch

Flop is fine... You have massive equity
Turn is good... you want to peel the river as cheaply as possible and you don't have equity here... about 25%, not worth pushing

Raise the river... pot is nice and big but like SSHE says either a bet is profitable or it is not, you have quite a good hand here and can raise it for value. Just laugh when BB turns over QJ.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With enough players in the pot you want to knock out the blinds who might potentially hold better drawing hands than yours. At the end of this hand you are up against the BB who might have a higher flush or a boat. A raise up front might have been enough to knock him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post was good until here.

Your raise is actually doing the exact opposite; you're intentionally bloating the pot causing everyone to chase more but this doesn't hurt you in the long run because you have a drawing hand that tends to draw to huge hands.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Your raise is actually doing the exact opposite; you're intentionally bloating the pot causing everyone to chase more but this doesn't hurt you in the long run because you have a drawing hand that tends to draw to huge hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right - I understand the concept, I just don't implement it enough.

Obviously we don't want to make a habit of raising this hand, so as a general rule, this is a +EV play after how many limpers, in what positions and/or against what type of players? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and after further thought, I'm starting to warm to the river raise concept here - although with any read bordering on passive my liking of it decreases. I still think a 3-bet on the turn is awful, and moreso than people are making it out to be.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously we don't want to make a habit of raising this hand, so as a general rule, this is a +EV play after how many limpers, in what positions and/or against what type of players? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Almost always from late positions
-Whenever the raise is at least breakeven or maybe slightly -EV when you stove against opponents' ranges...in practice I start thinking of doing it against 3 or more limpers
-Ideally this should be done against opponents who are cognizant of pot odds but don't apply them correctly. Meaning they chase more in bigger pots, but they chase things they shouldn't chase even in the inflated pot. If the raise is EV neutral from an equity standpoint, then there's no reason to do it against good players (because they only chase more if they're correct to do so) and there's no reason to do it against terrible players (because they'll chase either way and your PFR just made their play "accidentally correct")