Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 11:52 AM

Default Re: BB against SB

I think I like a turn raise here as it also represents trips more then a flop raise. If he calls the turn he has a hand and is probably not folding. I dont think firing on the river is worth it at all.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:08 PM

My standard play here is to raise the flop, check turn if i miss and the check or fold the river unimproved.
Assuming we raise the flop. do we bet the turn if a 7 or T hits?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:24 PM

I raise. Guy has a 32 PFR in a blind steal situation. You may have the best hand right now and you clearly have an awesome draw. The raise could be a value raise and if it isn't, it gives you fold equity.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I decide to raise the turn, maybe too fancy against this guy but it looks a little more believable. He calls the blank turn, river is a Jack offsuit, he checks and I just check behind. Do I need to be firing the 3rd barrel here? And if you raise the flop are you firing 3 barrels?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he calls a flop raise, I'd check the turn UI. Getting checkraised when we have a truckload of outs is bad for us.

With the way you played it, I would probably have bet the river as well. It would suck to raise the turn and then lose a 7BB pot to a Q-high who was looking for any excuse to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. I think you have to bet the turn. One of the reasons we raised the flop was to exploit fold equity. We need to foreclose on that equity on the turn. Alot of Lags will call that flop with any two cards and go away on the turn. Being check raised is uncomfortable but not the worst thing in the world since we likely have outs unless he has a Boat. Raise the flop. Bet the turn. Call a Check raise on the turn and fold/check the river UI. At that point, I doubt he folds if he has anything.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with this. I think you have to bet the turn. One of the reasons we raised the flop was to exploit fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was about to say "it's the only reason we raise the flop" but that's not true. It's at least the tipping-point reason, though.

[ QUOTE ]
We need to foreclose on that equity on the turn. Alot of Lags will call that flop with any two cards and go away on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with this reasoning. If he's calling any two on the flop, he has us pegged for a bluff. And if he has us pegged for a bluff and is holding air, he will make a move on the turn and if he has a better hand, he isn't folding the turn. If I'm wrong here, I have no idea what he's hoping for when he calls our flop raise.

That said, I'm not sure it's fair to qualify him as a LAG. OP had him pegged as "fairly passive postflop". His preflop stats look pretty standard-opponent:ish to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Being check raised is uncomfortable but not the worst thing in the world since we likely have outs unless he has a Boat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, that's exactly why we hate it if he checkraises. If we had nothing and were betting solely for the sake of fold equity, a checkraise wouldn't bother us so much; we can easily lay down air. It's when we're suddenly putting in two big bets on the turn because of the pot odds (that we skillfully pumped up ourselves) that we're crying. We could have had a look at the river completely for free, but we went and messed that up by betting into a made hand.