Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2006, 09:46 AM

Default BB against SB

Villain is 39/32/1 over 60 hands and looks fairly passive postflop. I've raised twice on the turn against him in this situation, one time he called down with middle pair that rivered a 2 pair, just check/called it on the river, I showed TPNK. Second time he folded on a Kxxx board.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...
Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Re: BB against SB

A semibluff needs to go in somewhere either the flop or the turn. Would he peel with a whiff if you raise the flop? Would he call the flop and c/r the turn with an A or 9? It's all read based I guess but you should pop this guy somewhere.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:56 AM

raise the flop and 3-bet the turn when he c/r's you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2006, 10:24 AM

I like a raise on the flop and give him a chance to drop the pure steals. If he has nothing, there's a good chance he'll fold the flop. If he has something, he's not folding and we'd be better off saving our raises for when we hit our flush.

I don't like raising the turn UI. He won't fold a legitimate hand and if we have enough outs to make us cry if he 3-bets us after we raise him. Another way of looking at it is that the pot will be 4BB when we decide to invest 2BB to move him off what may not be a steal at all.

Try to take it from him on the flop. If he's not stealing, the money we lost on our attempt is minimal because of our ~35% equity.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:25 AM

I decide to raise the turn, maybe too fancy against this guy but it looks a little more believable. He calls the blank turn, river is a Jack offsuit, he checks and I just check behind. Do I need to be firing the 3rd barrel here? And if you raise the flop are you firing 3 barrels?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:52 AM

I think it's raise the flop or not at all.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I decide to raise the turn, maybe too fancy against this guy but it looks a little more believable. He calls the blank turn, river is a Jack offsuit, he checks and I just check behind. Do I need to be firing the 3rd barrel here? And if you raise the flop are you firing 3 barrels?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I raise the flop I'd probably bet the turn and then give up after that since it would seem he's going to showdown.

It also looks like he's going to showdown after you raise the turn and he calls. I might fire a desperation bullet vs a total fish. Some donk's'll call a raise on the flop, turn whatever hoping to make a pair on the next street to call with. Maybe he'll call on the turn with a PP and decide its no good on the river. People do all kinds of weird stuff. Getting 7:1 on a river bet, I'd take a chance.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:53 AM

if he'll give up on the turn a lot just call the flop

otherwise raise the flop
Old 05-03-2006, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If he calls a flop raise, I'd check the turn UI. Getting checkraised when we have a truckload of outs is bad for us.

With the way you played it, I would probably have bet the river as well. It would suck to raise the turn and then lose a 7BB pot to a Q-high who was looking for any excuse to fold.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a raise on the flop and give him a chance to drop the pure steals. If he has nothing, there's a good chance he'll fold the flop. If he has something, he's not folding and we'd be better off saving our raises for when we hit our flush.

I don't like raising the turn UI. He won't fold a legitimate hand and if we have enough outs to make us cry if he 3-bets us after we raise him. Another way of looking at it is that the pot will be 4BB when we decide to invest 2BB to move him off what may not be a steal at all.

Try to take it from him on the flop. If he's not stealing, the money we lost on our attempt is minimal because of our ~35% equity.

[/ QUOTE ]