Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2006, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Rolf Slotboom\'s book

[ QUOTE ]
Rolf does have his own Pot Limit Omaha book coming out later this year August I think. This is a book I am eagerly waiting on.

RZ

[/ QUOTE ]

Rolf left a thread here a few months ago regarding his Omaha book and said it is going to take a very different approach to playing the game. He said that he has had quite a bit of success using the strategy, but it is slightly different to anything you will find printed at the moment.

Sounds like the book may raise some debate in the Omaha forum if nothing else. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

PJS
Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 AM

Hi TT:

I took this off of Amazon:

[ QUOTE ]
Mason is a professional middle-limit hold’em player and an expert in mathematics.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like this Dew Mason person has a very interesting background. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 04-27-2006, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The book was primarily written by Dew Mason, with Rolf Slotboom as a partner and contributor. Dew had completed a manuscript that he presented to Rolf, who agreed to polish the work so it can be published by a third party (D&B). Rolf adds his comments as footnotes entitled "Ace Speaks" throughout the book

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically right although Rolf did more than just 'polish' the manuscript. The ms underwent considerable revisions following Rolf's input and where Rolf had independent thoughts about the subject matter they are expressed in the "AceSpeaks" sections.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:49 AM

I ordered the book, and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm especially interested in partial outs, that the book should have a thorough look at.

If you've read it, how would you rate the aggressivity factor? I know your own HGIYLH (that I own and have gone about 10 hands this far) is pretty aggressive.

Also do you think the theory is good and correct in the book?

How about your personal book plans, what and when?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've read it, how would you rate the aggressivity factor? I know your own HGIYLH (that I own and have gone about 10 hands this far) is pretty aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it is not necessarily concerned with aggression. The authors try to establish 'correct' play with drawing hands and if that means raising rather than calling then so be it. There are some very interesting sections on estimating the 'value' of raising in terms of semi-bluffing or free card play.

[ QUOTE ]
Also do you think the theory is good and correct in the book?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I published it, so obviously I think it is.

[ QUOTE ]
How about your personal book plans, what and when?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am planning a book on short-handed play which will be co-authored with one of the regular posters here. I am also doing a couple of DVDs for Expert Hold'em (who did the Ed Miller DVDs). The subject matter will be Heads Up Limit Hold'em and Hand Reading in short-handed games (probably).
Old 04-27-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I published it, so obviously I think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, gotcha!

[ QUOTE ]
I am planning a book on short-handed play which will be co-authored with one of the regular posters here. I am also doing a couple of DVDs for Expert Hold'em (who did the Ed Miller DVDs). The subject matter will be Heads Up Limit Hold'em and Hand Reading in short-handed games (probably).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. Great books coming out this year. Or when were you planning to get it out (and DVDs)? Was the book about fixed limit?

Btw, I ordered Hold'em on the Come from Play.com. They say the release date is 30.4. there. I hope it holds. Amazon has had it couple of weeks already.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some very interesting sections on estimating the 'value' of raising in terms of semi-bluffing or free card play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this may be the most interesting part of the book IMHO, it seems as if this material and the material on estimating implied odds is new. I haven't read it yet, but from the outside looking in it seems to be a significant as Ed Miller's discounting outs method.

[ QUOTE ]
The subject matter will be Heads Up Limit Hold'em and Hand Reading in short-handed games (probably).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can testify that Byron is an excellent teacher for heads up limit play. I would be lost today if it was not for his guidance.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anybody know where i can get his book?? Also, is his dvd;s avail yet

[/ QUOTE ]

Right Here
Old 04-28-2006, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like this Dew Mason person has a very interesting background.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I may have cracked the code.

"Dew Mason". "Dew" is a homonym of "Deux". "Deux Mason" transposed is "Mason Deux", which means "Mason 2"! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

So clearly it is someone pretending to be you. If you notice your rate of propositions from gorgeous female 2+2 groupies slightly decline in the next few months, I suspect this impostor may be siphoning some of them off.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 AM

A clone? Or maybe it's the real Mason's alter ego. Like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Which one is which? Creepy...