Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Re: still wearing panties in the 30-60....................... :(

[ QUOTE ]
The hero's play reminds me of the concept in Theory of Poker called stopping bluffs, page 193.
Here's a quote from this section:

"Essentially the strategy to stop bluffs is to represent more strength then you actually have. Your opponent will not try to bluff, thinking you have atleast a calling hand and perhaps better."

Obviously this concept only applies against logical players, I believe this passive player will play logical in this situation. So becuz the hero has effectively stopped a bluff by raising the turn and represting a bigger hand than he actually has, he can safely fold the river against this specific opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. I represented a pretty big hand on the turn that will most likely call another bet if I got bet into again but there are too many hands that can beat me for me to call another bet. If I can narrow the range down to just a few hands that will beat me I would've called like any other time. But something about this hand I just couldn't see him betting a worse hand.

It reminds me of another thread where someone said, there's bets on the river that look like they want to be called and not be called. Well this just looked like a bet that wanted to be called to me.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:52 PM

For me to fold top pair 4 handed it'd take a bet from a player with a postflop aggro of 0.0 or a gun to my head.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant believe all the people saying fold here. He can play a lot of stuff that you beat here.

[/ QUOTE ]

quite the post... elaborate
Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You aren't worried he has a busted heart draw and wants one more chance at winning the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be worried but this guy is rather passive like I said and I haven't seen him get out of line once yet.

I can't see him betting a naked flush draw both on the flop and turn with his aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen many bad players who passively play strong hands like top pair get more aggressive when they have flush draws. Bad players seem to think pounding flush draws at all times is optimal.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen many bad players who passively play strong hands like top pair get more aggressive when they have flush draws. Bad players seem to think pounding flush draws at all times is optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, but in this specfic hand the player wasn't a bad one and I don't think he will bet the river with a broken flush draw.

I thought about this hand for a long time after my session though, because I almost rarely make this fold in this spot but given the turn action I figured it was correct.

The main thing I was afraid of when I folded this hand was the meta-game aspect that they might try to bluff me off the river in a similar spot where I've raised the turn since I've folded once already.

so paulka you would never make this fold in this spot?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:57 AM

There is no chance you chop with A2-A6 here?