Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: QTip confuses me.

Maybe he has a weak top pair, and wanted to see what the limper did before committing himself to putting more bets into the pot. Maybe he has a pocket pair less than 88 and is (correctly) guessing that you don't have a pair. Maybe he has a flopped set and was going for the overcall/hoping that MP1 would check/raise on the flop. Maybe he has AT and is hoping you'll fold a better hand.

If the pot were a little bigger I'd think about a raise/fold to 3-bet line here, simply because I do think we could convince QTip to give up a weak made hand. As it is, you're talking about risking 2 BBs to try and win 5.2, maybe a bit better if he bet/calls and you spike a winner on the river. I'd just give it to him.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:11 PM

You couldn't have waited til I posted my reply, could you? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just give it to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

More should think like this.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would he call on the flop with a backdoor flush and an over, planning a semi-bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, maybe. I wouldn't. It seems like a lot of things have to go right for this plan to succeed. After all, if he's got an overcard and a backdoor draw, unless he "catches" on the turn, he's setting up a bluff, not a semibluff. And neither a bluff or a semibluff is guaranteed to work, even if the fish goes away on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, let me ask you this. After he just calls on the flop, what would you bet with if he checked to you on the turn? I would probably check behind without a queen (or biggish pocket pair). Does that make a flop call (as him) with something like KTs more attractive? Also, one or both or your pair outs are very likely good, in addition to any gutshot or backdoor draws you have. Calling the flop, even without planning a semi-bluff, can not be far wrong (again as him).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think QTip should call the flop with a gutshot. I also think calling with a hand like the actual ATs is all right. (I don't like it as much with KTs, because there's less chance he's currently best, but I wouldn't object to a peel with that hand, really.)

In any case, though, QTip would have stolen the pot from me, in this hand.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on people. Try to put him on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

AQo or KQo

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No chance. He 3-bets those pre-flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why shouldn't he fear domination?

[ QUOTE ]
and/or he bets or raises with them on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a ragged flop, is it inconceivable that he would call with top pair, top kicker in the hopes that the third player would also contribute to what is in all likelihood his eventual winnings?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:20 PM

He does not fear domination because my range here is enormous (though not as big as his is). AQ (and KQ, for that matter) is more likely to dominate me than to be dominated by me.

As for just calling with top pair, yes, he could conceivably do that. However he knows that I would find a flop c/r relatively unthreatening (compared to just calling or to betting out) and will at least call his raise and probably a turn bet as well with a wide variety of hands. It is far from clear that calling to keep the other guy in makes the pot bigger and it certainly could reduce his chances of winning it.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In any case, though, QTip would have stolen the pot from me, in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. However, I learned something from his play here, and that is always good.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what QTip has, but we have diddly-squat.

I would fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur sir
Old 01-08-2006, 03:11 AM

Default Re: QTip [is the man]

big ups to creative lines and knowing a player well enough to realize yeah maybe he's making a move but with the other player in the hand our a high isnt much- things like this make it so clear that i have much to learn- wp