Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 01:30 AM

Default Re: I think my game is too one dimensional.

you will always feel like you cant beat aggressive players, because they are generally better at the skills required to beat other aggressive players. they know more of how you're playing so they can throw in bluffs, they can value bet their hands, and they can put you in tough spots.

when you're running bad, aggressive players will rape and pillage you. that's the nature of the beast.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Re: I think my game is too one dimensional.

[ QUOTE ]
I do well against Loose passives, and to a lesser extent tight passives.

However I starting to see that when I get up against tight agressives, or loose agressives, I seem to fall apart, and I'm not exactly sure what to do about it.

Is there a particular section in SSHE that I should go over again? A particular group of threads here at 2+2? Another book?

A few things, I'm fairly sure I continuation bet too much. I'm probably also not raising the more above average (opposed to premium) hands PF enough in position.

I'm not sure that those things alone are totally my problem. I think *some* of it is I get a little passive myself post flop when faced with agression.

I'm remembering a post in the Shilix's compilations about about 10 or so "Set Plays" and breaking them down. Would this be a good place to start to break my game down a bit more?

I'm looking more for a direction of things to look at than a magic pill "just do this!" kind of an answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... thanks for this post. I'm feeling much the same way except not as far along the path. I've noticed the same trend in my playing, doing better against the more passive players.

This isn't intended as much as advice, but a grunch on my approach to the similar experience I've been having. After thinking about some of my past sessions, I've made the following changes to my play recently:

- Single tabling. I've burned myself more times by playing two tables and then isolating against and aggressive, but then not sure if villain is loose or tight.
- Tightening up preflop range and cap the big holdings. I get impatient and end up putting myself in marginal positions when my post flop play isn't as strong as my opponent's. I'm playing 0.50/1.00 6max on Stars and where my VPIP in early sessions would be high thirties, is recently in high 20's
- Be more aggressive stealing blinds
- Reading SSHE sections relevant to things I found tough in a recent section. I was having a terrible time with overcards, read the section, and worked to apply the concepts in the next session.
- Try not to play over my ability. I got punished for FPS last night on a hand when I should have taken a WA/WB line.
- Raise the donks instead of calling them. I've been too passive with many of these players.

Now, I gotta find that set plays posting of Shillx's that you're talking about.

Anyway...not dispensing this as advice, just more thinking aloud for discussion and to sort out my newb thoughts around similar things I've found in my play.