Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 07:26 PM

Default I think my game is too one dimensional.

I do well against Loose passives, and to a lesser extent tight passives.

However I starting to see that when I get up against tight agressives, or loose agressives, I seem to fall apart, and I'm not exactly sure what to do about it.

Is there a particular section in SSHE that I should go over again? A particular group of threads here at 2+2? Another book?

A few things, I'm fairly sure I continuation bet too much. I'm probably also not raising the more above average (opposed to premium) hands PF enough in position.

I'm not sure that those things alone are totally my problem. I think *some* of it is I get a little passive myself post flop when faced with agression.

I'm remembering a post in the Shilix's compilations about about 10 or so "Set Plays" and breaking them down. Would this be a good place to start to break my game down a bit more?

I'm looking more for a direction of things to look at than a magic pill "just do this!" kind of an answer.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: I think my game is too one dimensional.

stop running bad
Old 04-19-2006, 08:01 PM

I really think it is more than running bad, but I don't want to fix what isn't broken either incase some of it is. That is why I was wondering if there was somedirection I could look in to help me evaluate what I'm doing.

I seem to "get" the basics, but when some of the more seasoned posters talk about things I feel pretty clueless, and I think I'm running into these situations more and more on the tables as I try and get out of the nanos.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think it is more than running bad, but I don't want to fix what isn't broken either incase some of it is. That is why I was wondering if there was somedirection I could look in to help me evaluate what I'm doing.

I seem to "get" the basics, but when some of the more seasoned posters talk about things I feel pretty clueless, and I think I'm running into these situations more and more on the tables as I try and get out of the nanos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give some examples of the things that make you feel clueless?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:52 PM

Sure.

A lot of it is what happens when I face agressive players. Getting 3 bet and knowing when to fire back, when to just call, and when to fold.

I've just recently been on a pretty good run at Party. I just started playing at PokerRoom and found some REALLY loose tables with 5+ players with 30-70 and higher VP$IP and well I just didn't do well on these tables at all. I think it is because I don't properly understand those table dynamics enough.

Of course I go digging through my session histories and can't find the hands now that seemed to cause me so many problems. Of course I see a lot of spew of late night should really be in bed instead play too.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of it is what happens when I face agressive players. Getting 3 bet and knowing when to fire back, when to just call, and when to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against seemingly aggressive players, it's okay to just call down with top and middle pair until you get more information on what he's doing. I would hestitate to play LAG-on-LAG because it's a high variance game that doesn't often win significantly more than a more passive approach.

Post specific hands that give you problems and do your best to develop reads on villains.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I go digging through my session histories and can't find the hands now that seemed to cause me so many problems. Of course I see a lot of spew of late night should really be in bed instead play too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep a running list of interesting/difficult hands as you play. This will make them easier to find later. Alternatively, if you have PT just write down your hand and it's easy to find after you import the histories.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've just recently been on a pretty good run at Party. I just started playing at PokerRoom and found some REALLY loose tables with 5+ players with 30-70 and higher VP$IP and well I just didn't do well on these tables at all. I think it is because I don't properly understand those table dynamics enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume you mean the 0.25/0.50 game at poke room. I have the same tendencies as you to do well against tight passives and loose passives but I seem to have problems with loose aggressive players. I did fine at the paradise 0.25/.050 games but I can't seem to beat the poker room game at even a modest clip. I'm pretty sure I'm not just running bad but something about my game style does not work well with the texture of the poker room 0.25/0.50 games.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Against seemingly aggressive players, it's okay to just call down with top and middle pair until you get more information on what he's doing. I would hestitate to play LAG-on-LAG because it's a high variance game that doesn't often win significantly more than a more passive approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the higher variance is what throws me a bit.

[ QUOTE ]

Keep a running list of interesting/difficult hands as you play. This will make them easier to find later. Alternatively, if you have PT just write down your hand and it's easy to find after you import the histories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I usually do, but I was going on Tilt last night and was up later than I should have been, playing on a new site, futzing with PAH layouts, setting up PT autoimports, etc.

So maybe Myles was closer than I thought. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I DO have an issue with more agressive opponent though, that just wasn't the only problem I had last night after I actually started reviewing some play. That is probably the biggest thing, I've been running well, so haven't kept up with reviewing my sessions.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So maybe Myles was closer than I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
sometimes i might keep the responses pretty short, but mostly its because they're to-the-point.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2006, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So maybe Myles was closer than I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
sometimes i might keep the responses pretty short, but mostly its because they're to-the-point.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that response from experience?