Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Ever tell your father that you love him?

[ QUOTE ]
Eric told Red Foreman on That 70's show today. It didn't go over very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell is wrong with that kid?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, i tell him all the time. but i'm Italian, we tell everyone we know that we love them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im gonna have to agree with this
Old 04-13-2006, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just about everyday. It's how we end our phone conversations and I wouldn't want it any other way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-13-2006, 08:57 AM

saying i love you is really important. i didn't get along with my mom as a teenager but as i started to get older and in the end of high school before i went to college, i realized we needed to start being more expressive like that. (even though it is a mother and daughter trust me the way my mother and i act - everyone is very tomboyish/gay/everything, it is very similar) i would say i love you when we got off the phone sometimes. didn't do it enough but just every so often. well i just got out of college, and my mom passed away, and one of the few consolations i have is that she knew how much she meant to me and i knew that she knew it. such a small thing goes suuuuuch a long way.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am Italian as well and my family is all like this. I was at a funeral on Monday, a friend of mine, her father had died and he had passed on bad terms with my friend. She had't told him that she loved him in years and it has been eating her up this week, she has so many regrets right now. It made me realize that I wouldn't ever go through that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be regreting wasting so much time on whatever caused the bad blood a lot more than not telling him I loved him. People in this situation say they regret not telling him they loved him. What they really mean is they regret the situation. People that are on good terms never think twice about it. Nothing wrong with telling someone you love them. I'm just saying it's not necessary. Different people display their feelings different ways.

FWIW, although I don't tell my Dad, I tell my 4 year-old son daily. If anything happens to me, I want him to remember.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:07 AM

I can't imagine that I'll look back in 10 years and regret having said it too much, so yeah, I say it everytime we say goodbye.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:11 AM

My dad is a meth addict/alcoholic who severely [censored] up my childhood due to his addiction and inability to change.

So, no.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 AM

I think as people can older thaey start to realize how much people mean to them and will tend to say it more, I was never big on the lovey dovey with family until I grew up and out of the house/state...

..you start to appreciate all theyve done for you

..my old man worked 50hours a week just to get overtime to give us 3 kids everything we ever needed, my mother couldnt work for severe medical reasons, so not only do I respect and love my father, I have told him he is that he is my real hero for everything he has done...

...so yes I have told him many times and I even hug my father, and kiss his cheek
Old 04-13-2006, 09:51 AM

Only once, on his deathbed.

He was a good parent but we were never that close. Six and a half years later, I miss him a lot. He didn't get to see me get old enough to have a beer with him and I always daydream about what that would be like.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:00 AM

Never. I'm half German half British Isles mix. Like another poster he only told me once when I was about 10 and then he was kind of speaking on behalf of him and my mom. Anyway, there is no need. Actually saying it reduces it's significance maybe. Don't tell my mom either, just tease her a lot.

I think until my 20's it was a word that I wouldn't even pronounce in my head if I read it on a printed page.