Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: This IS NOT a starting hand chart.

I know, it's useless. As soon as I'd started it I recognised just how much of a pointless exercise it was. I thought it might be useful in some way - maybe a foundation for change.

I thought I might find a magic bullet, a quick fix for my inherent tightness. I was wrong. I learned two things from charting my preflop play:

1. I play too much on autoplilot preflop - a result of multi tabling or a hangup from my early limit education but its not good and definetly holding up my development.

2. I spend too much time worrying about my tight preflop standards.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 05:13 PM

I still think there should be some underlying set of rules (maybe not as rigid as your chart puts it).

I generally raise down to 77 UTG, limp more with marginal Kings, and raise any two from CO and Button.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:42 PM

I currently play the 200s at stars and the games are so [censored] tight that I have started raising SC from any position (still not mixing in hands like A9 or KJ from UTG or MP positions tho). Most of the times I just pick up the blinds, or bet them out on the flop. The stars games sux =/ 5/10 rule definitely don't apply there if you are playing for set value alone
Old 11-15-2005, 07:18 PM

If you personally thought through each variable and arrived at each action decision, you are ready to improvise over some sophisticated progressions.

Look at your chart as modes, now make some melodies [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Good job--I would not dimiss your hard work.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:49 AM

Stars can be a nightmare ride. It's usually good when the big tourneys are on and all the donks bust out early and come chasing their buy in the ring games, MOSTLY IT JUST SUCKS.

I would say that the 5-10 rule still applies though, the rule has so much give in it. You just need better odds. No calling 10% of your stack chasing a set, but 5% and less is still a good bet. The rule is about implied odds and just because villain has a stack doesn't mean he is giving you those odds. You need to be more selective in the spots you choose to call, especially as the odds shorten, but that's the skill in it.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:41 AM

Would love to see one of these charts for SH NL. Even though all plays are situationdependent, it helps to have some basic pre-flop strategy to look at when new to the game.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:20 AM

i do not agree with this, eg when there are a lot of people in the hand before you and you hold 99, some times limping in is not bad, because when you hit your set, if you slow play you can be paid off very good.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i do not agree with this, eg when there are a lot of people in the hand before you and you hold 99, some times limping in is not bad, because when you hit your set, if you slow play you can be paid off very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can get paid off better if you catch a guy who can't release tptk. I've seen some of the hands people limp in, and they go down to J3o, you really won't get paid off by these limpers enough.

I say it's better to build a pot and catch the trap hands than trying to luck out against the trash hands.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:49 PM

Interesting discussion. When pulling this out to discuss with a friend, I can't figure out what "LA" means. Help for the brain-dead, please?