Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Nitty full ring hand

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you give UTG+1 two free chances to spike his set?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my question as well.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the flop check. Yeah it is being nitty, but after this action we almost definitely lose UTG+1. By the turn I think it's probably time to bet though (depending on the likelihood that smaller PP's will call)

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like it. It's an FTOP mistake to let someone draw for free, even to a 2-outer. More importantly, lots of players will limp JJ from EP, not to mention 99 or 88 here, and when only one over hits the board they'll think they may be good (especially given Hero's raise was from BTN), call and see another card. From a medium pair you can make good money value betting this. If you're going to play it nitty, check the turn representing a whiffed AK that gave up and induce a river bluff from that mid pair.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:52 PM

I would bet maybe 2/7 of the pot on the flop, its enough for mid pair or an over/under card to chase at, and at less your not letting him draw for free. It's a "hey do you interested in this pot at all?" bet
Old 04-07-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it. It's an FTOP mistake to let someone draw for free, even to a 2-outer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Incorrect. First of all, it's a fundamental mistake to play the hand differently than you would if you could see the opponents cards. If I could see JJ, I'd check the flop and bet a non jack turn. This is because I believe that the strong preflop bet followed by flop bet loses JJ.
Secondly, we're not protecting a hand we believe to be second best when there is no sidepot.

[ QUOTE ]
More importantly, lots of players will limp JJ from EP, not to mention 99 or 88 here, and when only one over hits the board they'll think they may be good (especially given Hero's raise was from BTN), call and see another card. From a medium pair you can make good money value betting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think villain is more likely to call a flop bet then a turn bet? The simplest way to think about it is "He didn't bet the flop, he must not have a Q or better so my hand may be good"
Old 04-07-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my question as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If on the flop Isura believes his hand is second best, there is no reason to "protect" since he will not win the pot at showdown. Raising only has merits to gain value. If he believes a worse hand will not call a bet, there is no reason to do it.

If Isura believes he's beating MP there is more (but still not significant) reason to protect.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:16 PM

Iam not going to comment on preflop. I don't know if it was good or bad play there. But I likely play it the same preflop (which could very well be wrong).

Post flop I think that I play it the same as you. Small Hand = Small Pot. TPGK on a paired board is a small hand. You saw the showdown as cheaply as possible, therefore giving yourself a chance to win the main pot....nice hand.

Margon
Old 04-07-2006, 03:24 PM

Oh my... what can I say...
Preflop action - looks good

Flop action - wtf? 1/40th the Pot bet? what kinda bs is this? Raise to $5 atleast if your scared of losing UTG+1 otherwise make it $20 to go.

Turn action - Now we're calling a 1/100th PSB - re-raise PLEASE and get UTG+1 to put some REAL money in this pot. Are you that scared of AQ?

River - if Villan has AT you just let him catch up, if he had 22/77/AQ then he played it extremly bad and you were behind anyway

This action reeks of EuroTrashy Weakness - If you were an American I'd shoot you - I look forward to watching you crumble with your Weak/Tight game to our Aggressive Pounding in USAvsROW
Old 04-07-2006, 03:27 PM

MaddHatter,

Read the action more carefully.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, it's a fundamental mistake to play the hand differently than you would if you could see the opponents cards. If I could see JJ, I'd check the flop and bet a non jack turn. This is because I believe that the strong preflop bet followed by flop bet loses JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't consider optimal play by assuming you can see his but he can't see yours; you consider optimal play assuming everyone can see everything. If you and opponent both know each other's cards, and if he is behind here with JJ or such, what is your correct play? Bet! But by checking you make the mistake. By betting, you give him the opportunity, perhaps small, to make the mistake.

I'll buy that by checking you may induce him into a bigger mistake on the turn. But I think betting the flop and checking the turn can induce an even larger mistake on villain's part on the river, when he puts you on a missed AK, which is what my line looks like.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, we're not protecting a hand we believe to be second best when there is no sidepot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct, we're protecting a hand we consider to be best against a villain who may still take the main pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think villain is more likely to call a flop bet then a turn bet? The simplest way to think about it is "He didn't bet the flop, he must not have a Q or better so my hand may be good"

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's necessarily more likely, but (1) any overcard has the potential to kill your action, and (2) his dream card on the turn sinks you, and you let him see it for free.

You are relying on the turn being a blank; I'm relying on villain seeing one over and figuring me for a flop c-bet. Either of us could be wrong, but I'm just not going to let him ride for free.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MaddHatter,

Read the action more carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 checks, <font color="red"> MP2 bets $.5 </font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
That looks like a 50 cent bet into a $24 pot

Turn
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 checks, <font color="red"> MP2 is all-in $0.25 </font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls

[/ QUOTE ]
Again - this looks like MP2 just pushed the rest of her 25 cents into a $25 pot

River
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what I misread? Sorry if I did, but it looks like you called down a short stack and let UTG+1 try and catch up instead of building a side pot and making UTG+1 pay your hand off