Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Playing while drunk

Hi Dave,

The way I see it you have 2 choices.

(1) Try to reduce the amount you drink when you play.

For this choice simply promise yourself (and follow through) that for every beer you drink while playing you will walk 0.1 miles the next day. For the next time you play and drink do the same except start at 0.2 Miles..0.3..0.4 etc. Eventually will not drink and play at all.

(2) Reduce the amount you play when you drink.

Lets say you wont play unless your ev is > $25/hr. After one beer dont play unless you get an ev of $30/hr. After 2 beers you need $35/hr. etc.

Either way should work.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know I have a drinking problem, the question is how do I prevent my drinking problem from taking a chunk out of my bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is what are you going to do about your drinking problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a drinking problem fueled by the life style I live and the environment I live in. It's not a "come home from class and have to put a glass of whiskey to my lips". It's more of a "Woo!!!! I'm in college!!! It's Wed/Thur/Fri/Sat night!!!!!! Time to get drunk!!!".

I'm very well aware of my drinking habits and monitor them closely. If the same habits continue after I graduate from college (which I highly suspect they won't), I'll tackle that problem when I get there.

I do appreciate everyone's suggestions and I think this thread was very beneficial for me. Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be your mom or anything. I drank quite a bit when I was in college, too. But when someone says, "I know I have a drinking problem," and asks for advice on how to solve problems that arise from it, my initial thought is that you're attacking the issue from the wrong end.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:09 AM

This is an issue of self control. If you play pretty regularly every day, just get in your poker playing hours during the day when you're not drinking. I'm in college as well and also drink quite a bit. I just simply won't play when I'm drunk. I'll drink when I play with my friends, but that is just a social setting for chump change. But if you really feel the need to play when you get home and are drunk, play much smaller stakes than you usually do. You said you play the 22SNG's. So if you need to play while drunk, play a $5 sng. It'll satisfy you're urge to play and cost you relatively little of your bankroll. Hope that helps.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:24 PM

You might just have a problem remembering all those promises you made to yourself when you have a few in you, so...

Here is what you do, set up (or reset) your windows password or the password to log onto your poker account. Make it really complicated like "ajbk3l08954*&(#$jkdl", something that you can not memorize. Write it down on a piece of paper, and put that piece of paper somewhere.

Also combine this with the other poster's advice on un-installing the software. Hopefully this will be enough of a deterrence to stop you from getting to the tables when you are drunk. If not, set passwords on as many things as it takes. (Like withdraw money to a neteller or firepay account before you go out to drink, and then write down equally complicated passwords)