Old 01-05-2006, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Is this a no brainer AK small stack all in and 1 caller in front

push
Old 01-05-2006, 08:47 AM

any info about the payout strucure?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:09 AM

AK could well be the best hand here. Something not mentioned in the replies below which I think is pertinent is the fact that MP doesn't gain too much through winning the hand and this inclines me to let him have it (his isolation play makes it clear he's pretty sure he's got SS beat). So he takes SS's chips and moves into second place but the difference between 1st and 4th is pretty small and almost half his profit is going into the BB next hand.
Now if the SS had 4000 chips, pushed and MP made the same move, you'd figure both hands were stronger but the incentive to call is massive chip lead and the danger in not calling is the MP becomes chip leader by a substantial margin.
In the given situation, sometimes I would call, sometimes not. By this time, I usually have a firm read on the table, know if I'm the best player or need some luck etc. etc. However, my inclination generally when two players are in a pot and a call costs me my stack is to let them get one with it unless I have a made hand. I put MP on a pair (77-QQ not the KK he had) and figure that even though a call is +EV it's -$EV.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is that even if one of your two previous pushers have a pocket pair, odds are that the other one has taken away one of your outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

If you put shortie on any Ace or any King and the raiser on a PP, then you're less than a coinflip because at least one out is gone. But if neither has a pair, you become a big favorite.

I've seen this sort of isolation move with any big suited Ace or a medium pocket pair, even with KQ.

Haven't crunched any numbers, but if the raiser doesn't have a pair even 1/3 of the time I'd guess this is +EV to call.

Once you've made the money, it's time to play for first. I hold my breath and call.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:57 AM

Default So how should MP have played this?

I don't like the isolation play with KK, but was wondering how this should've been played.

I think I would've just called to encourage someone else into the pot, then pushed on any non-Ace flop.

The best possible result would be to have someone raise behind you pre-flop and them you push.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Re: So how should MP have played this?

The isolation play made my push easier, because I thought it was odd given he had KK.

If I had KK I think I would have just called to encourage someone to come along and then hit them on the flop.

I think it is an odd play to make with AA or KK given that surely is the best hand especially 5 handed.

I really was expecting some kind of Ace rag hand from the isolator. I was very surprised at the KK.