Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Is this a no brainer AK small stack all in and 1 caller in front

10$ 3 table SNG

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t9630)</font>
SB (t12010)
BB (t8003)
<font color="#C00000">UTG (t2060)</font>
<font color="#C00000">MP (t8797)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t2010</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t8747</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

I my thinking was short stack could have any Ace and that the caller did not have premium AA, KK type hand given his all in to isolate the shortstack.

Was I in error to be thinking that my AK could well be the best hand here? Is this an instant where you have to let it go?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Is this a no brainer AK small stack all in and 1 caller in front

This is definitely a +cEV call, but I don't know what the bubble implications are here given that it's a sit and go.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:04 PM

I'm coming back over the top with a push. We have to feel very confident about being ahead of UTG's push. The other guy has a pretty big range but you see worse Aces and other pocket pairs much more here. Call this and stick it in yourself.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:19 PM

top 5 get paid so I was already in the money at this point.

I pushed here. I debated after it was over with myself. I thought the first all in call could have been a worse Ace, like AT AJ or even worse. Just bad luck to run into the KK, but I was still alive with my Ace. Thanks for you thoughts.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:30 PM

Is this really a clear push? It's probably slightly +EV, but I think you might be able to pass up this spot for a later spot that is more clearly +EV later. I might have to fold here. Also, not sure if it matters, but there's a good chance that the short stack will get knocked out, moving Hero up at least 1 pay spot and he'll still have a stack around the same size as the rest of the table. And Hero has enough chips left for a few rounds of patience.

Do you really need to take a coinflip for most of your stack here?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this really a clear push? It's probably slightly +EV, but I think you might be able to pass up this spot for a later spot that is more clearly +EV later. I might have to fold here. Also, not sure if it matters, but there's a good chance that the short stack will get knocked out, moving Hero up at least 1 pay spot and he'll still have a stack around the same size as the rest of the table. And Hero has enough chips left for a few rounds of patience.

Do you really need to take a coinflip for most of your stack here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Arrrrrrgh....

How do you know it's a coinflip? Did you magically read a player for a pair?

I think there's a strong chance you're against a pretty random hand from short stack and. And if it is a "coinflip" you could do better than double up if you hit, so I think it's an overall positive play.

OTOH I'm sure the payout structure affects things here, and I haven't seen it mentioned. Does it pay 5 or 4? How much does it increase? This could make the -cEV play a +$EV play.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:05 PM

I was referring more to the large stack. It won't matter much if you beat the small stack if you lose to the big stack, you'll be crippled after that. Doubling up here doesn't really guaranty you anything above 3rd. Losing here pretty much guarantees you 4th and possibly 5th depending on if the smallstack wins a 3-way pot.

The large stack made a pretty clear isolation move, and I'd think there's a pretty good chance he's holding any sort of pair.

Like I said, I'd imagine this situation is +EV, so I can't argue against a call. But I think you might be able to pass up this situation for a better one later. I just don't think it's a clear push. Largely because the equality of stack sizes and potentially, payout structure implications.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:35 PM

I think AQ and AJ are very likely enough for MP to make an isolation move. His large stack isn't that large.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:49 PM

I'd fold this after spitting on my keyboard and crying.

Problem is that even if one of your two previous pushers have a pocket pair, odds are that the other one has taken away one of your outs. If you hit, fantastic. But I think you're less than a coin-flip here. And you still have 12 BB left and time to wait for better spots.

Yup, I'm folding. But I'm not liking it.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:47 AM

uh fold
why take a showdown for basically all your chips?
it's slight+EV or significantly-EV (split A v pair)

only way i call is if i'm convinced MP is on offsuited garbage