Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2006, 01:17 AM

Default Flop Donk Bet AQ 1/2

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: PilotMatt is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">PilotMatt raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">PilotMatt .....

CO is 35/18/3.1 over 100 hands.

I have seen him do this more than once at this table, i am leaning to think R&gt;F&gt;C.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Flop Donk Bet AQ 1/2

I don't see how you can fold, getting 6.5:1 with 6 outs that are reasonably clean (plus you could easily still have the best hand). Will he give you a free card if you raise? Will he 3bet with a worse hand? He's pretty aggressive, so the answers could easily be no/yes, and therefore just calling down UI seems like a fine plan to me.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:05 AM

Yeah, definitely depends on the player, and how he'll react to your play. Typically though, I'm raising. I like my free cards and they seem fairly easy to get against most players.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:31 AM

I fold this here, if this guy has a pair he is miles ahead, if he has a draw you are not ahead by very much if you are.

True
Old 04-28-2006, 03:32 AM

since the flop is connected and 2 to a flush would raising and leading a blank turn work?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I have seen him do this more than once at this table, i am leaning to think R&gt;F&gt;C.

[/ QUOTE ]

since you have seen him donking more than once, what are he donking with? any pair, in general ragged flops, overcards, flush/straight-draws?
with a note like this your play should be very easy.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, definitely depends on the player, and how he'll react to your play. Typically though, I'm raising. I like my free cards and they seem fairly easy to get against most players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really take free cards in these HU situations? If you're too concerned you're behind that you can't bet the turn I think a flop raise is bad, and clearly inferior to a peel against anyone who is even semi-aggressive. Do you usually call or fold to the river bet? Honestly I can't imagine anyone actually taking the free card.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:14 AM

fold!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really take free cards in these HU situations? If you're too concerned you're behind that you can't bet the turn I think a flop raise is bad, and clearly inferior to a peel against anyone who is even semi-aggressive. Do you usually call or fold to the river bet? Honestly I can't imagine anyone actually taking the free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, very true, McGahee. By suggesting that, either I'm trying to apply that free card concept in too many situations, I was concerned about paying too much if I'm behind, or I just wasn't thinking when I posted it. ...Time to analyze play some more...
Old 04-28-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this here, if this guy has a pair he is miles ahead, if he has a draw you are not ahead by very much if you are.

True

[/ QUOTE ]

How concerned are you about setting up a metagame situation where he donks any two into you profitably? Obviously if he does you'll pick up on it eventually, but in the meantime you're encouraging him to play at least a bit more correctly.

I say this because I often find myself in these donked-into overcards situations and I hate that folding emboldens and rewards the flop donker.