Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2006, 04:53 PM

Default 7CS High - $5/10 - how thin is this value bet

The plan was to fold to a raise on the river. Villain seems relatively solid. Is the river check-call or bet-fold OR should have this been released on 6th? I just didn't think solid player would play a three straight heads-up against that raise (also had one of his 9's)

thanks - Mac

--------------------------------------------

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (3.20 SB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.60 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (4.60 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.60 BB)

Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (8.60 BB)
Old 04-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: 7CS High - $5/10 - how thin is this value bet

Check call the river. He's not going to call you without at least two pair and will raise if he has a straight. One pair isn't paying off when you bet into that board if he has a clue. So check and hope to induce a bluff or desperation bet with one pair.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2006, 08:10 PM

I would just lead on 6th. You've seen two of the 9's he'd need for the straight and, as you said, he probably wasn't playing a 3-straight on 3rd. Then I would check call the river.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:19 PM

Definitely check/call the river. Also, even though his straight card is somewhat dead, I still check/call 6th because most players will bet here almost every time. So you still get the money in when you're ahead and avoid getting raised. Also, another point of check/calling 6th is to induce a river bluff, which you stopped by betting yourself.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still check/call 6th because most players will bet here almost every time. So you still get the money in when you're ahead and avoid getting raised. Also, another point of check/calling 6th is to induce a river bluff, which you stopped by betting yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with all of this 100 percent.

Jeff
Old 04-28-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

All,

Thanks for the clear advice. After the hand, I really didn't like the river play as I can't see what villain can call with that I can beat. It's not good when you hit the bet button and only then ask, was that a value bet or am I trying to push him off a hand??

- Mac

Results:
Main Pot: $83 | Rake: $3

Hero: [ 9c Qd Qc Ah 2c 4h 5h ] [ a pair of queens -- Ah,Qd,Qc,9c,5h ]

Seat 6: [ Js Th Td 8c Qh Jd 7d ] [ two pairs, jacks and tens -- Qh,Js,Jd,Th,Td ]
Old 04-28-2006, 11:10 AM

Yeah, bad river bet for the reasons stated. Assuming he had split Ts, villain made a pretty bad call on 3rd, considering you raised from relatively early and no one else is in and he's late.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:21 PM

Newb's question (who is still wondering how to play 3rd street):
Villain was described as solid. Is it solid play to call with JTT? I mean his kicker is lower than our Q showing.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:48 PM

No, I think it was a very poor call. Especially because the opener raised with his queen with many players behind him AND no one else had called when the split Ts called. If I'm next to the bring in and the queen is next to me and raises, I'm more likely to think it's a steal. And if the queen raises and gets three callers I could decide to play hoping to hit trips or pick up a str8 draw (although I probably wouldn't). It's a marginal call in any case, but in this situation it's especially bad, since even if he has a big flush draw or three high cards, it's not like you're in great shape AND there's no money in the pot AND your only real great improvement is pairing your door card, which will be obvious to your opponent AND you can easily make two pair and still lose.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:33 PM

kapw7

you're right, it was a poor call by villain on 3rd. I should have been more clear in the setup, villain was an unknown but hadn't done anything goofy in the 30 minutes we had been at the table together, so my assumption going into this hand was relatively solid.

- Mac