Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Dictionary, Discussion and Updates

The Dictionary of Online Poker Terms and Abbreviations which is HERE and is linked in the FAQ, is an ongoing project which we will update regularly. Version 1.3 has been updated and posted as of 26 April, 2006. In this version a list of book and program abbreviations has been added as a separate category above the dictionary. If you have comments, criticism, additions, corrections, or anything else to add, post in this thread or send me a PM.

I want to thank Mike Haven for his good help in setting up the dictionary in the Zoo.

The words in this dictionary have originated from the following sources:
1 Any of 11 other dictionaries on line.
2 Colloquial useage taken from posts on this site. The fact that some of the definitions are taken from common useage is the reason you are encouraged to send corrections if you find them. As an example, we had much trouble getting a good definition of “The Phil Van Sexton”. Nobody agreed as to exactly what the play was. This particular problem was solved by a PM to Phil.
3 The third category is definitions taken from poker books.

Many of the 2 card starting hand names in the dictionary are shown with their common name, but lack explanation. If you know the origin of the names, please let me know.

The dictionary is now almost 1200 words, which I believe to be the most complete and accurate dictionary of online poker available anywhere.

I am happy to put together the dictionary for the group. It is, however, very time consuming, which of course takes away from poker playing time. If anyone wishes to make a contribution, please transfer to DrPhysic on Party Poker, Poker Stars, or Paradise. This is spread limit: a buck is appreciated, not to exceed one buyin of whatever you normally play. What you get for your $ is a dictionary I am happy to contribute to the group anyway, and 1 each warm fuzzy.

Thanks,

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Dictionary, Discussion and Updates

Previous Suggestions thread is here.

Our thanks are all to you, Doc, for your ongoing hard work in making this the best and most comprehensive poker dictionary, ever, without a shadow of a doubt.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:16 PM

Thanks, Mike.

I hope the zoophiles will continue to add to it as they see words that are still missing.

Doc
Old 04-28-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Thx

I want to express my thanks to those who have contributed to the latest version of the Dictionary. Sandra Bullett has especially been helpful in proofing the dictionary, making suggestions, and adding words that I had missed.

Thanks guys, keep the additions coming, I KNOW we still have common words used in online poker and in the forums that we haven't thought about yet.

Doc
Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 AM

Suggestion: blocking bet.

It's a NL term, and I have a pretty good idea of what it means, but would like a full time more experienced NL player to define it precisely. (I'm a limit guy, starting into the world of NL.)

Thanks
Greg
Old 05-30-2006, 06:10 AM

Three across and four across. Just heard these on TV for the first time recently. I believe three across meant 6-7-8 and 4-across meant 9-10.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:11 PM

Link to X-rated abbreviations post.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suggestion: blocking bet.

It's a NL term, and I have a pretty good idea of what it means, but would like a full time more experienced NL player to define it precisely. (I'm a limit guy, starting into the world of NL.)

Thanks
Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Blocking Bet - Used in NL poker only, a bet designed to allow you to see more cards for less chips then calling or checking would.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:01 PM

Hi Doc,

Suggested source of additional words is the new law. The name and acronym of the Act, "Frist", etc. If you scan some of the better posts a few more words should suggest themselves.

Capped table games is a new betting form.

regards,
Sandra