Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Strange Play from BB with AK

I recently played a hand in a B&M that I thought was a bit strange. $5/10 limit
I am dealt AKc in BB its folded around to 1 off the button who raises preflop. I had noticed him in a lot of pots but couldnt recall him raising preflop. SB calls I call. Flop comes Kh 8h X. SB checks, I check, Button bets, SB calls, I raise, button calls, SB Folds. I wanted SB out he was a strong player. Turn brings another heart I check raise again he just calls. River brings 4th heart. I check he checks. I turned over the AK and he mucked.
This was the first time I can recall check raising someone on the flop and turn. Is this a mistake with this board on the turn? Or should I have come out betting the turn. I do know there were a lot of supprised people at the table with the 2 check raises. I put the button on a pocket pair or a weaker K. Curious as to your thoughts on this play
Old 12-22-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Strange Play from BB with AK

[ QUOTE ]
Curious as to your thoughts on this play

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that not 3-betting PF really sucks. Given that you didn't 3-bet PF check-raising the flop seems decent - although I don't think you should be doing it too often in SS B&M games. These games are usually so passive that you shouldn't be counting on a player to bet w/o a good read.

Furthermore - you state that you wanted SB out cause he was a good player. It seems to me that a better way to accomplish this might be to lead into the PFR hoping he'll raise again. SB made at least one mistake on this hand (and probably more). I fail to understand what hands SB could've been holding that were worth a 1-3/5SB (?) cold-call in the SB, a 1SB call on the flop getting 7-to-1 and then folding for one more now getting 11-to-1?!? My point being - that, if SB really was a decent player, you're line on the flop should not have folded him out of the pot.

Checking the turn after check-raising the flop really sucks. Having it check through with 3-hearts on the board would be horrible.

You've made some errors on this hand that are (A) going to be quite costly in the long term if you continue to play this way and (B) errors on pretty basic fundamentals of good poker strategy.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Strange Play from BB with AK

This hand took place not to far from you. At the POT in milwaukee
Normally I would 3 bet this preflop but seeing this was going to be short handed already wanted the small blind to at least get some money in. When the flop came up with the 2 hearts I decided I wanted the SB out. I didnt care to have him sitting waiting to draw out he was also a tricky player. I checked the flop knowing that the button would surely bet the flop given the fact that there had been no aggression shown towards him and his position.

As far as the sb went i figured if I bet into the PFR due to the passiveness of these games he just calls and the SB will call as well. I hadent seen him raise anyone that had bet into him.

The turn was what I had the most questions on. I hate checking there but I went for the checkraise to see where I was at in the hand. I will agree that this is probably a foolish mistake it just felt right at the time. I dont know that I would do it the same if I had it to do over. This was the crux of my question this hand worked out this time. I am still bothered by it, which is the reasoning for the post. I have never made a play like this before. I would normaly 3 bet this pf and either bet into pfr or go for the check raise. I guess my other question is was I wrong to force SB out so soon. It turned out that he would have one the pot on the river with his Q.