Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Weird play...like it?

Pacific $2-$4 - 5 handed

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]:
UTG folds, MP calls, HERO CALLS, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: (4SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB bets, BB folds, MP folds, HERO CALLS.

Turn: (3BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets, HERO RAISES, BB 3-bets, HERO FOLDS.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Weird play...like it?

No reads? And no, I don't like it. I'm raising the flop like 100% of the time here.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:33 PM

so you dont like it because he didnt raise the flop heads up, but you dont care that he did so with the intention to raise a turn bet? is it because he got 3-bet on the turn? (yes)

to the op: the question is difficult to answer because the guy is unknown. just a tiny bit of info would go a long way. i would raise the flop here often, but if not i would raise the turn and call down if he 3-bets. we're getting 8:1 with 2 outs to tens full, 2 outs to 222TT, and 3 outs to QQTT4, but the key is that there are a lot of stupid flush draws and pair + flush draw hands he can have that i expect to have the best hand enough to showdown against an unknown.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:38 PM

Easy fold for me. I mean who would 3-bet with a pair of 2's out there?. You really screwed up on the flop in my opinion. Flush draw is out on the board and in danger of overcards. Also the hand converter is messed up, it says BB folded on the flop but he 3-bets on the turn.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 PM

Go to showdown and be sure to take a note on what you see. I'm still raising if I improve. BBs likely hand is just a deuce here. I think folding the turn here is pretty nuts unless you have a read that this guy is super rock tight.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 PM

Well what ranges of hands could you put BB on (remeber he only checked)? And what range of hands could he be possible raising? Ace 10? Highly unlikely. But really with no reads, you can't say if he's a maniac or not
Old 04-26-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you dont like it because he didnt raise the flop heads up, but you dont care that he did so with the intention to raise a turn bet? is it because he got 3-bet on the turn? (no)

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for not explaining further. Raising the flop is my personal preference in that scenario. There is a gutshot, flush draw, and a few overs that I don't like seeing arrive on the turn. Many opponents don't expect you to raise top pair hands heads up so he may continue to get action anyway. As the OP played it, I never fold to that 3-bet barring reads. As you so very well explained in your reply, there are a multitude of hands that villian could be 3-betting here and this is HU, so crazy plays are certainly not out of the ordinary.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold for me. I mean who would 3-bet with a pair of 2's out there?.

[/ QUOTE ]
you dont know who this guy is. it is unlikely that he bet 4-way with bottom pair so it is likely that he doesnt have three of a kind. there are two different flush draws possible for him to be getting retarded with.

[ QUOTE ]
You really screwed up on the flop in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
please. you realize you only think this because he got 3-bet on the turn, right?

[ QUOTE ]
Flush draw is out on the board and in danger of overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]
or not. its heads up. the guy can only have 6 outs with overcards and that means he had to be leading the flop with AK AJ or KJ. so no, our hand is not in danger.

[ QUOTE ]
Also the hand converter is messed up, it says BB folded on the flop but he 3-bets on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
he manually typed this hand and meant to type SB. it is heads up on the turn (and on the flop for that matter).
Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 PM

When you misrepresent your hand to an opponent, don't be surprised when they react to that misrepresentation. I call this down every time.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:30 PM

I usually just raise the flop here.

I think you can fold to the turn 3 bet, although you made the pot pretty big and are now getting 4.5-1 for a call down. Unless the play is real crazy on Pacific... I heard it was soft.

I don't like your line vs an unknown. You are more likely to blast villain off a weak hand on the turn, and some cards might discourage you to raise and make you lose some value.

I also don't like the idea of making the pot big with the intention of folding to more aggression against an unknown.