Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Poker Table Pad - Idea, need suggestions

Here is my situation:

Not a lot of money for a good table
Not a lot of room to store or place an extra table
Need to utilize existing dining room table for home games

My thought is to make a "poker pad" to place on top of the table, so we can stop using table cloths which are an extreme pain.

The pad would be like a huge mouse pad, custom cut to the shape of the table top, with a nice felt surface. Rubber sub-surface would prevent sliding and protect the table. It could also be rolled up easily and stored away or taken to another home game.

My questions:

1. Does something like this already exist?

2. Anyone know a good foam rubber sub-surface that would grip the table and provide a little bit of cushion, and where to purchase it?

3. What is the best type of playing surface, durable but good feel? Feel slightly more important.

4. Ideas on adhereing the surface to the sub-surface?

Seems like this would be a pretty easy and cost effective solution, if I can get the right materials.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Poker Table Pad - Idea, need suggestions

Hmmmm... I only have a suggestion for a cheap table that can be stored with 5" of space against any wall.

Buy a 4-8 sheet of plywood, cut into an octagon. $15
folding legs $15 (Home Depot or any other)
Cloth from a fabric shop $20-30
Padding, headliner from a autoshop ($10)

You other option would be to get a piece of material and have someone sew a elastic band around the edges so you can have it fit to your existing table snug
Old 07-14-2005, 04:53 PM

Type "Poker Felt" into your web browser. You should find exactly what you want for less than $20.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Type "Poker Felt" into your web browser. You should find exactly what you want for less than $20.

[/ QUOTE ]Are you crazy? Did you read his post? I know what those "poker felts" are like, and they're entirely different from his description. They're unpadded, loose cloth with a draw string. Or without a drawstring. Archcity is looking for a huge, felted mousepad.

Check out this link. They use a mousepad concept for the center felt. Also look at the Ultimate Portable Pokertable. He has a mouse-pad, too. Both these projects are more involved than yours, but the Scottkeen guys are WAY into felts and fabrics and pads. There's some issue with getting a pad that holds a felt, rolls up, and then unrolls completely flat. I'm sure they thought about it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Let us know what you do with this. It could be really cool. I'd go so far as to cut 3 pieces of wood to rest under the pad, so you can use different tables (instead of cutting the pad to fit the table). Maybe you could even do cup-holders; I don't know.
-Sam
Old 07-14-2005, 10:48 PM

Those poker felts are a little lacking, just glorified table cloths. One site did point me to Volara padding which looks very much like what a was thinking about for the sub-surface. Not too expensive.

Now for the playing surface, think I will check out the fabric stores any suggestions? Felt or Velveteen?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 PM

Velveteen is good but regular felt is HORRIBLE. Checkout www.yourautotrim.com, they should have everything you need.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:20 AM

Velveteen, no question. Felt pills up and you'll have to replace it constantly.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:15 AM

I agree that felt is crummy, but I don't think the correct answer is obvious. How are we planning on attaching the fabric to the foam? Maybe spray-on adhesive? I don't think whatever's best for traditional tables will necessarily be best here.

What happens when we roll this up? Will the fabric seperate?

What happens when we unroll it? Will it lie flat again? How does volara do with creasing and bending? (Not well, I think.)
-Sam
Old 07-15-2005, 10:56 AM

How are the 'folding table tops' that are available all the time on Ebay for under $50 (including shipping)?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens when we roll this up? Will the fabric seperate?

What happens when we unroll it? Will it lie flat again? How does volara do with creasing and bending? (Not well, I think.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps slicing the volara almost almost all the way through at 2" intervals will allow that volara to roll up easier.