Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Concert DVD\'s

Ok, I've bought a few of these, and they are money well spent. Since I enjoy them so much, I'd like to get OOT's input on other good dvd's out there. My tastes generally run towards the bluesier and heavier side of rock n roll. Singer-songwriter type stuff really isn't my thing if you couldn't tell. Post it anyways, though.

Here's what I have. I may give in-depth reviews of each of these. No need to get pretentious on these though, I just want to know what's good about them. I may get pretentious, however.

<u>Led Zeppelin-DVD</u> Rating: 5 out of 5

<u>Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same</u> Rating: 4 out of 5

<u>The White Stripes: Under Blackpool Lights</u> Rating 5 out of 5

<u>The Black Keys-Live</u> Rating 3.5 out of 5

Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Concert DVD\'s

<u>Led Zeppelin-DVD</u>

The Holy Grail.

This is the recent DVD that was released along with the amazing 3 CD set <u>How The West Was Won</u>. It contains 5 and a half hours of performances from 1969 to 1980.

-The Danish TV Special (1969 B&amp;W)
Page is shown playing his psychedelic painted Telecaster instead of his signature Les Paul. He takes a hot-fire solo in Communication Breakdown, uses the bow in a (relatively) short version of Dazed &amp; Confused, and segues seamlessly from the Smokestack Lightning riff into the How Many More Times riff on the last track. They hadn't been together very long, but it is clear they have great chemistry.

-Royal Albert Hall (1970)
Some cool Eddie Cochran covers, C'mon Everybody and Something Else. A sweet solo vocal performance in the middle of How Many More Times, where he belts out the famous "I want you to, I need you to, SQUUUEEEEEEEZZZZZEEE my Le-mon" lyric. Psge's guitar tone is pretty fuzzy and muffled sounding, different than most of their shows.

-Madison Square Garden 1973
These tracks come from the same set of shows that was used to produce the original Led Zeppelin dvd <u>The Song Remains The Same</u>. They play The Ocean, listen to Bonzo count them in.

-Earl's Court 1975
Some really good stuff in this show. Acoustic performance of Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, a hot live version of In My Time of Dying, and the classic Stairway To Heaven.

-Knebworth 1980
Even at the end of their career shortly after a near fatal crash, death of Robert's son, and heavy drug use, they manage to put together an amazing performance. The fact that Bonzo only got better has a lot to do with this, but they are all clicking in this show. Listen to Nobody's Fault But Mine, the part after the short rests where the band all comes in at the same time. Really tight, and it creates a very thunderous percussive effect. On Achilles Last Stand, Page manages with one guitar what took several overdubbed guitars on record. Sure, he doesn't get every little guitar part in, but the song doesn't lose a thing. It's powerful and tense just like on <u>Presence</u>. I'm not emo, but I've got to admit when Plant tells the crowd "I don't know how to say this...thanks for eleven years", I get a little choked up. Bonzo dies that year.

-Other miscellaneous
In one of the DVD menu screens (I think on disc 2), they show a short repeating clip of The Song Remains The Same. Bonzo's going nuts on this. There's several interviews, and a couple of additional tracks.

Rating: A+. It doesn't get any better than this.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:55 PM

the unintentional comedy of The Song Remains the Same pushes it to a 5/5.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:58 PM

This DVD is brilliant.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This DVD is brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, I forgot about this... I'm going to get it as well.

[ QUOTE ]
the unintentional comedy of The Song Remains the Same pushes it to a 5/5.

[/ QUOTE ]
What? Those dream sequences were like totally awesome!

<font color="white">That's sarcasm, not obviously</font>

Thanks for the suggestions and I will be looking to buy the White Stripes DVD as soon as possible.

From the list you provided I'm pretty sure you're not a Dave Matthews Band fan. But just in case:

"Listener Supported" the band is very tight, solid DVD (4.5 out of 5)

"Live in Central Park" Warren Haynes guests on a few tracks, for the casual fan this is probably a better DVD (4 out of 5)
Old 04-26-2006, 04:02 PM

Zephed,

The LZ DVD you posted is really good. Here are the 3 that I have playing the most...

Old 04-26-2006, 04:06 PM

darko,
didn't you post a review of the Black Keys dvd? I pretty much agree that it was good, but not great.

EDIT: The Eagles? c'mon now.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: The Eagles? c'mon now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you know how everyone digs a cheese band but hates to admit it? This is them for me. I don't love them per se, I don't ever listen to them other than this dvd playing in the background while I am on the computer and doing things around the house etc.