Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Byron Jacobs\' beginner limit book

Frankly, with no limit holdem all the rage and WLLHE 3rd and GSIH (not to mention ITH) available for beginners, this book seems superfluous. I wonder how well it will be received in the marketplace.

I have not read it thoroughly, only thumbed through it. My impression is that the book is more thorough than GSIH and somewhat less detailed than WLLHE. It introduces no new concepts as far as I can tell, and omits some (like raising draws on the flop for pot equity value in multiway pots).

I really enjoyed Jacobs first book. This one is plain vanilla.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Byron Jacobs\' beginner limit book

If you just thumbed through it, how can you honestly review it?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, with no limit holdem all the rage and WLLHE 3rd and GSIH (not to mention ITH) available for beginners, this book seems superfluous. I wonder how well it will be received in the marketplace.

I have not read it thoroughly, only thumbed through it. My impression is that the book is more thorough than GSIH and somewhat less detailed than WLLHE. It introduces no new concepts as far as I can tell, and omits some (like raising draws on the flop for pot equity value in multiway pots).

I really enjoyed Jacobs first book. This one is plain vanilla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I decided to call it "Beginner's Guide to Limit Hold'em" because it is - how can I put this? - a guide for beginners. It is designed to get people going so they can learn how to play and then sit down in micro and low limit games without being an underdog. I specifically state in the book that some of the ideas are quite basic, that greater sophistication is needed to succeed at higher levels and point readers in the direction of the relevant literature. However, players need to walk before they can run.

The other titles mentioned in the previous post are obviously fine books (although I think ITH is more than a beginner's book) - mine just takes a different approach to teaching the basics.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also wondering this [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

As I live in the UK I managed to get hold of the book a few months ago. My oppinion of the book is that it is a solid introductory book to Limit Texas Hold'em. However, as I've read other books such as SSHE and TOP etc. I was already familiar with most of the concepts contained within. This is not taking anything away from the book, as i wasn't a beginner reading it.

What I will say is that it provides a thorough introduction to the game by laying a good foundation, and does a good job of putting several concepts in an understandable manner.

PJS
Old 04-27-2006, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It introduces no new concepts

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you expect it to? The quality of a beginner's book is more down to simplicity and clarity. Some readers will relate to one author's style better than anothers.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It introduces no new concepts

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you expect it to? The quality of a beginner's book is more down to simplicity and clarity. Some readers will relate to one author's style better than anothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it does introduce a new idea. Well, it probably isn’t new but I haven’t seen it before. I call it “the Game of 100”. The idea is that you play a full ring game but instead of using playing cards you use a ‘deck’ of 100 cards with the numbers 1-100 on them. Everyone gets dealt one card. There is only one round of betting and then – if there is a showdown - the highest card wins. The question is: sitting UTG (and assuming everyone plays the game logically) how good does your card have to be before you bet?

Obviously I use this as an analogy to demonstrate why playing rubbish cards in early position is a bad idea. However, there must be a point a which it becomes mathematically correct to bet rather than fold and I wonder what that number is. My guess in the book is 93 but really I have no idea (although I have a suspicion that maybe it is not possible to work it out unless exactly what is meant by "assuming everyone plays the game logically" is clarified). I know there are some maths dudes who hang out here so maybe someone can work something out...?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:29 AM

Could someone explain what 'vanilla'is please?
I live in Northern Ireland and here is is ice cream.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:57 AM

Vanilla is without real flavor ... most often used to describe a sexlife consisting exclusively of the missionary position.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also wondering this [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

As I live in the UK I managed to get hold of the book a few months ago. My oppinion of the book is that it is a solid introductory book to Limit Texas Hold'em. However, as I've read other books such as SSHE and TOP etc. I was already familiar with most of the concepts contained within. This is not taking anything away from the book, as i wasn't a beginner reading it.

What I will say is that it provides a thorough introduction to the game by laying a good foundation, and does a good job of putting several concepts in an understandable manner.

PJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't misunderstand. I am not saying any of the advice is flat wrong, although I could make arguments re:

1. The example hand at p 72 has a player named Edward playing a straight draw + flush draw + 2 overcards unrealistically poorly in a multiway pot on the flop;

2. He advocates folding JTs UTG+1 in unopened pot

3. He advocates folding T8s in middle postion after an early limper

4. He advocates calling AKo and AQo, and says AJo is a borderline call in the SB after a middle raise gets called by the CO and BTN.

5. He advocates folding 54s in middle position after 2 limpers.

Just wondering why we need yet another book explaining the free card play.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the first Jacobs book.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't misunderstand. I am not saying any of the advice is flat wrong, although I could make arguments re:

1. The example hand at p 72 has a player named Edward playing a straight draw + flush draw + 2 overcards unrealistically poorly in a multiway pot on the flop;

2. He advocates folding JTs UTG+1 in unopened pot

3. He advocates folding T8s in middle postion after an early limper

4. He advocates calling AKo and AQo, and says AJo is a borderline call in the SB after a middle raise gets called by the CO and BTN.

5. He advocates folding 54s in middle position after 2 limpers.

Just wondering why we need yet another book explaining the free card play.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the first Jacobs book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some comments:

1. The page 72 example. Prior to giving this example, I write: "We will not be overly concerned about the quality of the play and whether the players are making good or bad decisions. This section is purely to give an example of the mechanics of play."

2.-5: It is my opinion that these are all situations that require some experience to handle successfully. A beginner, by definition, has little or no experience and I am trying to keep them out of trouble until they develop that experience.

Thank you for the positive comments about HGIYLH and I am pleased that you enjoyed it. However, the very fact that you found it useful indicates that you already play at a level where a beginner's guide is unlikely to be of any use to you.