Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Flop bottom two, Coldcaller Raises?

17th hand on this table. Villian has won 5 small ones and lost one medium. Seems pretty LAG. But is usually betting in pot sized increments (which I think of as being decent)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($103)
UTG ($117.20)
Hero ($99.40)
CO ($339.64)
Button ($157.05)
SB ($99)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($7.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $14</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ...... ?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Flop bottom two, Coldcaller Raises?

I'd call the flop raise, then lead the turn, and fold to further aggression.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:13 PM

If you were trying to get to a 3 bet push, well you are there. If you are beat, what are you thinking are safe outs? A turn J may very well give you second best hand. AJ, AT, QK seems like possible calling hands preflop with position, especially if suited. What hands are you beating that make this play? AK? AQ?

Going with the assumption that this raise means they can beat TPTK, that has you beat or tied because you have the lowest above TPTK.

If you would have reads on this player saying overplaying TP, then you could feel more comfort in pushing.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Yuck. Bottom 2 pair continuously wrecks me.

It's only $9 to call a pot of $26 right now. I sort of like the call/lead turn.

The way I'm thinking, villain probably has AQ or something similar and wants to end this hand before more scare cards come. (Of course AJ,AT are possible, though you seem less likely since you have a J&amp;T).

I believe KQ would have just called the flop to try to extract some more out of this hand since there were no flush draws/etc out there.

Anyone else? This is a tricky one.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Going with the assumption that this raise means they can beat TPTK, that has you beat or tied because you have the lowest above TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually an excellent point - bottom 2 pair is barely above the totem pole of top-pair type hands.

The only other kind of hand I think we are really ahead of is something like AQ where villain has TP+gutshot. I could definitely see someone raising the flop with that kind of hand, because they'd be happy to take it down right away, and still have a few cards to draw to for help.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:33 PM

There are flops where bottom 2 is a big hand but this isn't one of them. Fold
Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 PM

I neglected to mention that in the previous 16 hands I had been involved in, only 3 where I Raised and took the blinds. Anyway action actually went like this afterwards:

Flop: ($7.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $14</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, Button Raises $140.05 (All-In), Hero ..... ?