Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Moving to LV next week

On Wed, I'll be flying out for a permanent change of address. I would appreciate any advice as I'll be apartment hunting, looking for an expensive car (will I need one?) and any other advice people could give me on being successful. The stress is killing me, as well as the anticipation. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

TIA

CJ
Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Moving to LV next week

I'm VERY jealous. Best of luck in the promised land.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2006, 10:21 AM

I am moving in August as well, so I will wish you luck. When I was apartment hunting (3 bedroom's) the nicest area seemed to be the Henderson area.

For a 3 bedroom, we saw some nice ones for about 850 month which I thought was great. However, if you are really poor their low income apartments looked great as well.

Are you playing poker professionally, getting a dealer job, don't know..what? I am going out there and then looking for a job so let me know how it is out there.

And yes, you will need a car with A/C most likely.

Bang Bang
Old 04-26-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am moving in August as well, so I will wish you luck. When I was apartment hunting (3 bedroom's) the nicest area seemed to be the Henderson area.

For a 3 bedroom, we saw some nice ones for about 850 month which I thought was great. However, if you are really poor their low income apartments looked great as well.

Are you playing poker professionally, getting a dealer job, don't know..what? I am going out there and then looking for a job so let me know how it is out there.

Bang Bang

[/ QUOTE ]

I question what you think "nice" is. My 1 bedroom in SW area near the lakes is $930 mo.

Henderson as a rule is a nice area however.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Bang Bang

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome

Old 04-26-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bang Bang

[/ QUOTE ]

I question what you think "nice" is. My 1 bedroom in SW area near the lakes is $930 mo.

Henderson as a rule is a nice area however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three bedrooms in Henderson for $850 strikes me as below the market. I just moved to Silverado Ranch (well to the south and just west of Henderson). This is a nice area, still in the process of being developed--hence quieter and with less traffic than some other neighborhoods--and somewhat cheaper than Henderson. I am renting a 2-bedroom condo unit with a few more amenities than most apartments for $895/month. My son and daughter-in-law have something very similar in Green Valley (Henderson) for a little bit more. My daughter-in-law's sister lives a block from me, and she is paying $850 for her two-bedroom. I looked at a number of places in and around this same area, and the going rate for a two-bedroom unit is about $850-950. I saw a freestanding tiny two-bedroom house for about $950.

And a car is an absolute necessity pretty much wherever you live, unless you are in a neighborhood that has some public transit--like my old neighborhood near the airport and UNLV. Even there I would recommend a car.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:07 PM

I found lots of nice places for 900 and 3 bedroom, the luxury 3 bedrooms were just 1100....you can even get a house in the 900 range a month for three bedrooms.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just moved to Silverado Ranch (well to the south and just west of Henderson). This is a nice area, still in the process of being developed--hence quieter and with less traffic than some other neighborhoods--and somewhat cheaper than Henderson.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pay $805 a month for a one BR apt at Silverado Ranch and Bermuda which is one mile east of S. Las Vegas Blvd. Nice growing area and still easy access to the Strip and Green Valley (ten minute drive to GVR, 10-15 to Mandalay Bay, 25 minutes to downtown during rush hour).
Old 04-27-2006, 11:21 AM

I've been watching ads in the paper. Move in specials all over. Plus, I only need "space for my stuff." So, one bedroom or studio would be fine and those seem to be running in the 500s.

As for a job, I drive a limo at present. No doubt a driving job would be easy to get. In fact, if I ever find a place that doesn't need commercial drivers, I'm moving there as they must be making a lot of bucks. Only going to work as much as I need to cover rent and utilities. Incentive for playing and playing well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know of a couple places just off the strip that are supposed to be nice and reasonably priced, as many don't seem to want to live in the middle of the action.

CJ
Old 04-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Check out Summerlin. It's gorgeous. I live in Peccole Ranch right near there, and it's fantastic.