Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 06:54 AM

Default 1/2 limit, KK against aggression - played like a wuss?

No significant reads on villain. Based on preflop I put him on JJ, QQ, KK, or AA and maybe AKs so I feel I am ahead of his range. I am mainly a no limit player so I may practice "pot control" with only an overpair. My feeling is that this does not apply as much in limit and if I feel I am ahead I need to push my edge. Post flop I called because I wanted to make him think his overpair was good. Thereafter, SHOULD I CAP EVERY STREET?

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with K♦ K♣
5 folds, CO raises, 2 folds, Hero 3-bets, CO caps, Hero calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5.25BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, Hero calls.
<font color="blue"> Here I started worrying that he somehow had a goofy 7. Not rational really...still need to push what I think is an edge? </font>

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (11.25BB, 2 players)
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 15.25BB
Old 04-26-2006, 07:20 AM

Default Re: 1/2 limit, KK against aggression - played like a wuss?

I don't like the flop play. If you are going to check, it should be with the intention of raising. I'd just bet right out and get more chips into the pot straight away. I never like slowplaying when there are two of one suit on board either. If you pre-flop reads are right the only hands we really fear are AA and something like AK of diamonds and if he has one of those good luck to him.

The turn looks good and I'd call down after he 3 bets.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 AM

You have a premium pair in what looks like a blind steal situation. You're ahead of CO the vast majority of the time here, plus he's not going to credit you with a big hand since you could easily be defending with a lot less than KK. Don't get fancy; just bet/3-bet the flop.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:25 AM

you should easily have tried to cap this flop and even bet out on the turn.

Played like a true wuss.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:06 AM

*Grunch*

Please please PLEASE bet/3bet this flop. Define your hand, you'll never cease to be shocked at how often this is something you've got destroyed, or something really goofy.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:18 AM

I could see slowing down on the turn/river , but seriously what are you thinking on the flop ? Are you always afraid of AA or what ? Bet/3/5/7 bet that flop.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:22 AM

Everyone is focusing on the flop play. I accept that betting there is better...esp. in light of the 2-suit board. However, that was a FPS and not a passive/wuss mistake.

My main question is really...do I cap every street thereafter? When do you slow down on a hand like this where you expect to be well ahead of villain's range on the flop? If he is also capping every street, at what point if any do you say "ok, his range is now even or slightly ahead of mine and I should slow down".
Old 04-26-2006, 08:23 AM

The flop call was solely done to get him to think a JJ or QQ was good here and to get more big bets in later...not because I was concerned about being behind at that point.

Edit: I don't even think it would be that horrible a mistake in this situation if the board weren't 2-suited when done to mix up play (i.e. not a standard play)
Old 04-26-2006, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop call was solely done to get him to think a JJ or QQ was good here and to get more big bets in later...not because I was concerned about being behind at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you trust your read, then cap every street after the flop. Your actions and thoughts don't coincide. You want him to think his JJ is good then you fail to capitalize on it when he does.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: I don't even think it would be that horrible a mistake in this situation if the board weren't 2-suited when done to mix up play (i.e. not a standard play)

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are justifying a weak play by saying its FPS. You are saying that you are not sure if you are ahead and also that you are slowplaying at the same time.

Let's think this through logically.

You check the flop hoping that a worse hand than yours will keep betting , and then when he remains aggressive you get scared that he has you beat.

As you played the flop , I think the turn and river are okay. But I would probably c/r/cap the flop and lead the turn. If after all that action he's still raising you might need to re-evaluate.

A read here is really important. Some players are capping here all day with TT and others would go into call down mode with QQ.