Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Default *** TRIP REPORT- Ingrown Toenail Removal (OUCH) *** Maybe NSFW

Well...about 1/2 hour ago a doctor just removed a quarter of the nail of my big toe due to a ingrown toenail...

how did I get this ingrown nail? combination of running on the beach barefoot/clipping my nail too deep/and not realizing this was the case 4 days ago...

for those who don't know what an ingrown toenail is specifically

JUST KIDDING...more like this

or http://www.podiatrychannel.com/ingrowntoenails/

anyway, back to the removal...

I arrive at the doctor's office favoring my injured toe...he sits me down and takes a look, he gives me two options:

a)give it a few days and see if it heals itself

b)remove it right now...

I go for option B...better to take care of it now with the level of discomfort it's already causing and not waiting another few days to see what happens.

Doctor pulls out a nice 3-4" syringe, fills it with anesthetic...gives me one shot on the inside of the toe where the nail is and the bottom of the toe where he says the largest nerve is...regardless I have an insans phobia of needles ever since being a child and these two shots sucked...

he gives it 10 minutes, comes back and asks how I'm doing...he pushes the toe and I tell him I can still feel it, he gives me one more shot...

(thing about anesthetic is that in the last 5 years I need large doses to get the job done...this might be in part to my heavy drug phase from the age of 14-17 but either way, I always need more than usual for any type of procedure, i.e. dental)

Doctor gives it another 20 minutes and comes back...he pulls out a few utensils, I can't look at my toe at this point but I clearly know he is shoving something sharp under the inside of my tow and cutting. The pain is quite intense, I tell him this and he tells me it's almost over...he does this two more times, and then pushes down on my toe with gauze...which is soon soaked with blood seconds later...

he applies two more pieces of guaze...then takes them off, adds a layer of clear stuff, probably neosporin, covers it with a band-aid and off I go...

now, keep in mind I felt the entire removal, the novacaine didn't do [censored], I was grinding my teeth, yelling obscenities like I had turrets...it was [censored] brutal...he then tells me that the big toe has one of the most senstive nerves in the entire body (OOT med experts...is this true)...so thanks [censored], you could've given me another shot or two or three...

to top it off I had a 15 minute drive back from the office to my house and I could swear I was going to pass out twice, light headedness, almost threw up, and everything...

it officially sucked and I'm not even supposed to remove this band-aid for 24-48 hours so if anyone requests pics...you'll have to be patient.

for those who think I'm a pussy, that's fine but this was one painful trip to the doc I'll never forget...
Old 04-25-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Re: *** TRIP REPORT- Ingrown Toenail Removal (OUCH) ***

I sooo hope you drop a box when you are moving....
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sooo hope you drop a box when you are moving....

[/ QUOTE ]

you little bastard
Old 04-25-2006, 06:50 PM

This could have used an NSFW warning in the title. Fortunately I'm not at work.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:52 PM

These things suck. I got one while in college and just figured it would go away. Well yeah as you know it just gets worse and worse and finally it is a bitch to just walk around the house. Hate to break the bad news but oftentimes they [censored] up and it goes back to its ingrown state. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It took 2 tries for me to get it resolved.

The lydacane worked for me but damn taking a needle in the big toe is nothing like taking it in the arm. The good news is that everything will be fine when you take the bandage off. It is pretty much like nothing happened at that point aside from it looking weird.

Cut straight across. Best advice I ever heard concerning these things.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they [censored] up and it goes back to its ingrown state

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes me sad...I would assume post removal maintenance would prevent this
Old 04-25-2006, 06:54 PM

Default Re: *** TRIP REPORT- Ingrown Toenail Removal (OUCH) *** Maybe NSFW

[ QUOTE ]
I can't look at my toe at this point but I clearly know he is shoving something sharp under the inside of my tow and cutting. The pain is quite intense, I tell him this and he tells me it's almost over...he does this two more times, and then pushes down on my toe with gauze...which is soon soaked with blood seconds later...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardass
Old 04-25-2006, 06:56 PM

some things in life shouldn't have trip reports.
By the way, I didn't read any of your report, and I made sure to look away from the pics.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:57 PM

I've an ingrown nail before. Managed to take care of it myself before it got too bad. Question is, how do you prevent it from happening in the first place?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:58 PM

OMFG