Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Late in 55 Guaranteed, Easy Fold with JJ?

24 left in the 55k rebuy on stars, Both Villians are playing fairly tight. The reraiser acted quickly and I know he has a big hand.

I am pretty sure this is a fold with JJ after thinking about it. It was a tough decision with 450k in the pot and only 120k to call.
What if I have QQ?
What if reraiser miniraised for 90k more instead of 120k?

Big Blind is t30000 (8 handed) Ante: 1500

Hero (t436633)
MP1 (t156392)
MP2 (t649860)
CO (t468966)
Button (t894866)
SB (t670618)
BB (t129726)
UTG (t153816)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J, J.
1 fold</font>, Hero raises to t90000</font>, 1 fold</font>, MP2 raises to t210000</font>, 3 folds</font>, BB calls t98226 (All-In), Hero ?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Late in 55 Guaranteed, Easy Fold with JJ?

Villian's range is JJ+, AK probably, right? Seems like you have a good chance to be beat already. I'd fold.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:06 PM

The only question to ask yourself is what MP2's range is. His range would need to have 88-TT be as likely as QQ-AA to make this a good push.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:09 PM

what did you end up doing? Considering that you are getting short with 30K blinds plus antes, i'd think you called or pushed yourself? But then again, that reraise prolly scares you a lot since AK prolly would push and not do something idiotic like reraise and give you decent odds and or stop and go him. Personally, I would push and if he's got QQ+ I'd just river a J, other wise, I'd just conclude today was not my day to win and bust out fighting!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:18 PM

I wasn't thinking of pushing as I knew I was probably beat. I called. I was hoping for him to check down with a player all in, or to hit a set, or maybe 89T (It could happen).
Old 04-25-2006, 07:23 PM

So you called half your stack and hoped to check it down? Cmon now, if the guy has QQ+ he aint checking nothing down. And if he has a worse hand like 77-TT and AJ+, you would be giving him free cards to beat you. And all this with half your stack in the pot already? You're really short now, I'd say calling and hoping to check it down isn't the best move for you right now. Either go with it and push preflop or lay it down there.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:49 PM

Well if the flop comes with and A or K it will be easier to get away from the hand. He might also check with if an overcard hits to his pair. ie maybe he has KK and A hits.

I like a call more than a push in this spot only due to pot odds, I think I should have folded pre flop.

What would you do if you had QQ or if he miniraised to 180k giving you 5/1 on your money?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:51 PM

push preflop your getting like 1.8 to 1 vs a push and your about its profitable if his range is something like JJ+,AK and is probably a tad bit wider than that.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if the flop comes with and A or K it will be easier to get away from the hand. He might also check with if an overcard hits to his pair. ie maybe he has KK and A hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, if he has you beat preflop an or A or K on the flop doesnt change anything. It just means means he flopped a monster, unless of course he has QQ in which he will prolly push anyways on the flop hoping you didn't have an A or K and pick up the side pot. If you truly think he has only QQ, KK, or AA then you give it up preflop, not call and then see it come T74 and check and watch him push and u fold? And if an Ace hits, and he has KK, how does that help you? At the showdown you still lose, and thats if he doesn't just push on the flop. Once half your chips are in the pot, I don't think you should be "getting" away anymore. Thats why either push or fold preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
I like a call more than a push in this spot only due to pot odds, I think I should have folded pre flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot odds? I think putting in half your stack should weigh more then pot odds here.

[ QUOTE ]

What would you do if you had QQ or if he miniraised to 180k giving you 5/1 on your money?

[/ QUOTE ]

You push all in.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:23 PM

Default Results

I called preflop. Flop came 532 two diamonds. He pushed, I thought for awhile and called because the pot was so big. I am over 1M if i win or I fold and keep the 200k+ I have left. Villian had KK, bb had QQ, adios!

So you guys think I should push initially or after I am raised (as opposed to calling). Pushing 15bb with 7 to act, or pushing after a reraise and a call would with zero fold equity?