Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 01:38 PM

Default AC\'ers - How Do You Vote?

Inspired by this post and this reply.

AC'ers - how do you vote? Do you choose not to vote? Are most of you even old enough to vote? ([img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I kid, I kid) I didn't post a poll because I'm interested in the reasons, if anyone would like to provide them.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: AC\'ers - How Do You Vote?

I used to vote. I ran for office as a Libertarian. Then I realized what a sham and scam the entire system is.

Voting is for suckers.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:12 PM

When I vote, I generally vote libertarian.
Though Bush is so bad I contemplated voting Kerry in the last election [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2006, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Voting is for suckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's too charitable. Voting is for criminals. When you vote, you're effectively trying to impose your preferences on other people who have different preferences.

That said, I voted in the 2004 election. I skipped all of the races that had names, and just marked "no" on all of the referenda proposing new laws.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I voted in the 2004 election. I skipped all of the races that had names, and just marked "no" on all of the referenda proposing new laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

pvn,

If it is okay to vote 'no' to intrusive legislation and unjust laws, why is it also not okay to vote for more libertarian-minded officials as a self-defense against more authoritarian ones?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:17 PM

Couldn't a vote for a candidate who had views close to yours, or in favor or against an issue that you felt was good policy help make the system less shamful and scamful?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
less shamful and scamful

[/ QUOTE ]

SOrry for the hijack, but I cant decide if this was a typo or an amazing play on words...
Old 04-25-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't a vote for a candidate who had views close to yours, or in favor or against an issue that you felt was good policy help make the system less shamful and scamful?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pvn,

If it is okay to vote 'no' to intrusive legislation and unjust laws, why is it also not okay to vote for more libertarian-minded officials as a self-defense against more authoritarian ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure that my "no" votes *were* "okay". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I felt like making a similar point in the "best president" thread when Cyrus called me a hypocrite for supporting ronald reagan's tax rate cuts (even though I never expressed such support) on the grounds that someone who is opposed to taxation on principle should not support someone that offers *lower* taxation than the status quo, unless that new rate is 0.

Of course, that line of thinking presumes that reagan had the power to unilaterally set tax rates, which is obviously not true.

In this case, given the reality that *someone* is going to get elected, it does seem like a good idea to at least try to get the least oppressive candidate elected.

However, voting for a candidate (and you have to vote "for" someone, you can't just check "not Bush" on your ballot) is acting to impose a preference. Voting against enacting new legislation is acting *against* imposing a preference (in general; there can be cases (i.e. repeal) where a "yes" vote is a vote against imposing a preference).
Old 04-25-2006, 03:02 PM

Voting is for slaves.