Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 10:15 PM

Default PP Account hax0red. Firewall running, etc...

Heh, so basically I escaped this relatively unscathed, but here's the scenario. I cashed out 100% of my bankroll last week from PP. I then got some spring25 bonus or whatever that I noticed when I went to watch the 2+2 table today. Cool, $100. I did not play.

I then went to lunch at a place that is like 6 blocks away, I walked, got take-out, came home and see the dreaded "You have been disconnected because your account has been logged on from another computer" or however it goes. WTF, I check my balance and I only have $23. Obviously I requested the hand histories immediately, but strangely they show no play beyond the 17th. However, in my transaction history I see:

24-Apr-06 21:10 ET
Taken to Propduster $100.45 --- Success
24-Apr-06 21:19 ET
Taken from Propduster $23.51 --- Success

ok, this was NOT ME PLAYING, although it is a 3/6 6-max table which is what I normally play. The one person who knows my password did not do this, I am 100% sure of, and the only computer I have played on besides my own is my mom's, and I didn't save the password. Just to be sure, I called over and nobody has used the computer all day. Fwiw, I run Sygate Personal Firewall, Spysweeper, MS anti-spyware, AVG Free edition, and am highly computer savvy. I was fairly sure my computer was a virtual fort knox and have no idea how this happened. Pretty freaky [censored], I'll post the email I get back from support.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:54 PM

Default Re: PP Account hax0red. Firewall running, etc...

This is pretty disturbing since there is no obvious reason as to how this happened. What about your mom's computer? Perhaps it has spyware and you password got keylogged when you logged on from that computer.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:57 PM

Why are you sure the one person who knows your pw didn't do it?
Old 04-25-2006, 12:22 AM

Does anyone here who has been hacked use password safe? I haven't seen of typed any of my passwords since I copied a random sample them from this site: https://www.grc.com/passwords

Hell, I don't even know what my passwords are, but I know that I change them every month or two just because of these situations.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:23 AM

omg. If you got hacked, nobody is safe.

pls post results if/when you get them.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The one person who knows my password did not do this, I am 100% sure of

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be 100% sure. Also, you can't be 100% sure that they didn't tell anyone else the password.

Trust nobody, seriously.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:53 AM

heh, turns out my dad had logged on from my moms house (where i guess I HAD saved the password) to play some play money poker like he does at work. THATS NOT EFFING PLAY MONEY, POPS!!!! Basically I had PP send me the IP log files, and it was pretty obvious that it was a mistake. btw, for all of you saying don't be 100% sure that the person with my password hadn't done it, that's stupid. Sometimes you need to trust people.

I do however feel paranoid and slightly stupid right about now, but I suspect that my reaction was not abnormal around these parts.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:55 AM

I don't even know my password for most sites.

I have them written down in a notebook and they are just random keys (including caps and lowercase, numerals and punctuations)

Was your password just one regular name or word?
Is your e-mail potentially easy to access?
Do you know whether the guy who knows your password possibly played on someone else's computer or left it unsafe in some other way?
Any possibility you or the other guy were phished?

It seems quite likely that somebody was just able to get your password somehow (and not through hacking your computer or via a key-logger or something).
Old 04-25-2006, 02:57 AM

There's absolutely no reason for all these different people to know your password and play on your account.

Additionally, you aren't supposed to be doing that anyway.

Your dad can't just get his own play-money account?
Why do you need to trust the other guy with your password in the first place? He can't an account of his own?

Seriously, I don't get it.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:04 AM

heh, since you asked...

My dad is a computer retard and does not understand the concept of what he was doing. He is the same guy who called me in to do "tech support" when his saved password wasn't what he typed, it was only "*******". He was not trying to play on my account and does in fact have his own.

Second, giving my password to someone and them playing on my account are two very different things. Please show me where it says it's against the rules to tell someone your password. This person is an avid poker player with his own account, and just because you prefer to write stuff down and I prefer to leave it with someone does not make your method more right.