Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Tips to avoid \'Ugly American\'-ness, please.

I haven't been to Eastern Europe and I am leaving in two weeks. The full experience: plane, trains and automobiles. From Amsterdam, through Frankfurt, Vienna, Budapest, on the way to Sofia, where I have family working temporarily. When else are you gonna know someone in Bulgaria? You gotta go, right?

What advice do all you Euros (or well-traveled Americans) have for an American who doesn't want to walk down the street with an "AMERICAN" neon sign over his head. I realize some things stick out, regardless, just like many Euros do over here, but what would make it... Less So.

Mode of dress, money/expense habits, eye contact, greeting culture, lets hear it.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Tips to avoid \'Ugly American\'-ness, please.

Learn how to say "hello", "please", and "thank you" in the language of every country you plan to visit.

Besides that you can basically just play it cool. Don't be rude, don't flash large wads of cash around, and don't shout.

I don't think you should want to avoid sticking out, just avoid attracting negative attention.

Do NOT wear a baseball cap. When I lived over there that was the #1 giveaway for someone being American.

Dont act like an @$$...be more reserved.

Location: There\'s no real \"evidence\" for it but it is scientific fact

Say you're canadian...

In all seriousness, I think the accepted stereotype of a dumb yank over here (britain) is someone with a huge camera round his neck, obese with a shittily designed hawaiian shirt and shorts on, droning loudly about how "quaint" the place is. If this is you, don't even come to europe. If, on the other hand, you don't feel the need to compare everything with the US feel free.

Also, loud american style forced greetings (Hi, how are YOU today!!) make us brits cringe. Eye contact, I don't know what to say, shouldn't be a problem. Read the tipping thread for how we tip over here: the only things you tip are belboys, taxi drivers and waiters. Anything else and you cme across as wannabe flashy (although I'm sure the recipient won't mind!).

I think the easiest thing is just to watch how we do things over here, and emulate as best you can. People WILL tell you if they find your manner obnoxious, but probably too late.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:04 PM

don't use deoderant.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:04 PM

Yeah, they're going to know you're an American. My advice to you would be to pay attention and do what others are doing (I think there's a cliche about that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). For example, if you are in a restaurant notice that if others are being quiet then you should probably do the same. You do that here as well but it's more important there as you won't be familiar with social norms.

Jared
Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

Try to blend in. Learn a few words of the local language. Copy their dress, shorts are not big over there. Be patient, life moves at a different speed over there. Watch how loud you talk.

They're going to know you're American, but many will appreciate your efforts to blend in. If you come across someone with a hard-on for Americans, tell them your Candian.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:12 PM

Put forth effort and you will be treated well.

What I mean (I was born in Hungary) is you see some American tourists who come over and don't even try to communicate. They just talk to you in English, and if you don't understand, they say the exact same words, in the exact same order, JUST LOUDER... wtf?

It doesn't matter if you only speak English. There are tourists in all countries and many of them don't speak the native language. But try listening, use sign language, repeat things using DIFFERENT words and not louder. Oh yeah no baseball cap, and usually no shorts.

So, basically, if people see you are interested in their country and you are trying to actually communicate with them, they will treat you well.

Have fun.

Edit: One thing about Hungary in particular and E Europe in general. People are pushy... in lines for the bus, there is no line, it's a mob pushing to get on... don't get freaked out, if you get an elbow in the kidney it was probably my grandma.

Also, people will tell you if you are doing something they don't like. It's just the way they are, there's no disrespect, things are just a little more confrontational.

Hope that doesn't freak you out, but it's 2 things my gf who was born in Cali noticed when we were in Budapest.... she loved it by the way ( I mean Budapest ).
Old 04-24-2006, 07:16 PM

The fact that you asked the question means you'll be fine. Just be yourself.