Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 06:31 PM

Default The price at the pump

My guess is that next year we'll look back fondly at the time when gas was only $3 a gallon. I was researching (not too successfully) the cracking spread or the refining margin between crude and gas. I once found a beautiful graph that showed exactly how much I got screwed over on summer priced gas. This time I see that refiners aren't getting rich right now and if crude stayed at $75 we can expect $4+ gas soon. Has anyone found a neat, tidy graph of the refining margin? Please post it if you find one.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: The price at the pump

Don't fall for it. The is no supply shortage at all. Their is a refinery shortage combined with monopolies. People don't get a $145,000 a day retirement package because of low profit margins.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:40 PM

I found this interesting:

http://money.howstuffworks.com/gas-price.htm

ScottieK
Old 04-24-2006, 07:33 PM

Here we have so much oil it is hard to imagine but yet we still pay $1.07 a litre. Which works out to about $4.40 for a US gallon. Morph is right about the lack of ability to process.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:40 PM

Oil is fungable, it's all more or less the same. The price is the same world wide. There is litle opportunity for US companies to really screw US consumers only. They could attempt to screw the world , likely unsuccessfully.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:30 PM

Scottie's link is a good source.

The observations about our refining capacity are correct, too. There haven't been any new refineries built in umpteen years. EPA restrictions and the "Not In My Backyard" folks have seen to that. The refineries have spent Billions retrofitting the old equipment to meet the continually tightening restrictions on emissions. You pay for those costs.

California and Florida won't OK new offshore drilling. (Don't screw up OUR beaches, dammit!) Some estimates show the US becoming damned near self-sufficient if we tap those pools.

The Gulf is still rich, but the depths are getting higher and that's more $$$$. Add the hurricane problems and relying so heavily on the Gulf is dumb.

Then we have the commodity traders. You do know oil is traded on the open market, right? It's not just the producers, refiners, etc., making a buck on the price. It's the guys speculating. People who don't own anything connected to the industry except contracts for crude.

Traders, no matter the commodity, do not like uncertainty in the weather or politics - any country's politics. Oil traders especially get antsy over political upheaval - or threats/hints of turmoil.

So, how are GWB and Big Oil going to control all the above? Find the solution(s) and you'll have Warren Buffett asking you for a loan.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:12 PM

Your gas would still be subsidized by the U.S. government even if the price doubled
Old 04-24-2006, 10:12 PM

I made a post awhile ago about the mega oil company mergers that were approved by the Clinton administration. At the time the Asian financial crises was underway and oil prices plummeted. The oil companies stated they need to merge to effect economies of scale to lower production costs. Profit margins of oil companies don't seem to be out of line with other businesses IMO.

I agree with your take basically. There won't be any new U.S. refiners for quite some time IMO. Additional refining capacity yes, new refining companies doubtful. Also several U.S. refiners came out last year when the energy bill was passed and stated that the new law that removed their exemption for MTBE contamination liability would cause gas prices to go higher due to the retrofitting of equipment to refine with ethanol instead of MTBE to accomodate clean air standards.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:07 AM

investing in ethanol within the united states has been increasing dramatically over the past few years. This just came out last week....

In case anyone is interested here is a list of cars that are E85 (85% ethanol) ready.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:04 PM

News comes out of a possible nuclear attack on Iran and the price of oil skyrockets. Want to know the truth? Ask who's getting rich off of the instability caused by the US government. Follow the money...