Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Broken, mangled, shattered, dislocated ankle

Alright, check this out.....

A few years back, I was wrestling with my roomate and I had him pinned up against the wall, when my ankle snapped. Really freaky occurence, and it didnt just break, it spun around nearly 180 degrees, probably about 120 degrees to be accurate. It was hanging limp off of my leg, and my roomate thought my shoe had just slipped and was on backwards.....that's how f'd it was.

Good news was that we lived two minutes from a hospital, so withing ten minuted of breaking my ankle I was in the E.R.

Bad news was that I didn't have medical insurance, and I had gone to the hospital that wasn't "free".....i.e., in Dallas we have a hospital that you can go to if you dont have insurance.

But I knew I could pay for it, or more over, my family would foot the bill (pun intended) because I was about 19 at the time.

The first thing they did was try and get the dislocation out of it by knocking me out and yanking on it really hard, which woke me up in while i was supposed to be knocked out, the pain was so intense I woke up screaming bloody murder because I had a 200 pound doctor pulling on my ankle as hard as he could trying to un-dislocate my broken ankle, which, he was unable to do [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

They didn't operate on me that night, and I was told it was because my ankle was "too swollen".

In fact, they didnt even schedule surgery until they had received a check from my family for the surgery.

I layed up with a foot hanging limp and sideways for a week, and it was badddd......I mean, like, 17 ten milligram hydrocodones a day bad......and even then I was still in agonizing constant pain.

So, fast forward a few months.....I'm at a bar and walking just fine, when, I feel the sickest, sharpest pain I had ever felt in my ankle.....what had happened was the bone had died where my ankle had broken.

As a result, my bone collapsed onto my joint, and, I now walk with a limp and my ankle is pretty much F'd.

I'm on painkillers steady, and the only way to fix this is to fuse the joint, which, at 23 isn't a viable option because it will end up making me have really bad arthritis, so, for now it's lot's of pain killers.

Here's my question OOT-

Do you think that when my ankle was broken and the Dr. was yanking on it to unsucessfully remove the dislocation more damage was done?

Also, the "real" reason I wasn't admitted to surgery immediately was because I didnt have health insurance, correct?

Do you think that laying there with a mangled ankle for a week could have possibly worsened my condition?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Broken, mangled, shattered, dislocated ankle

i thought this post was gonna be about you dropping your 600-lb deadlift bar on your ankle, and then running over it with your z06.

damn was i disappointed.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:02 PM

Yes, Yes, and Yes....

...I would look into malpractice purposes....

..I am now happy that when I dislocatd my ankle that I was able to pop it back in myself, then go to the hospital for follow up care...

...the only thing I have is a constant swelling in that ankle, that makes it look like one of the Hulks legs, while the other one is skinny and normal
Old 04-24-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

..I am now happy that when I dislocatd my ankle that I was able to pop it back in myself, then go to the hospital for follow up care...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardass.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 PM

Trying to reset the ankle in the ER sounds standard. I would definitely see an orthopedist and ask what they think about whether or not surgery would have helped if done earlier.

You will definitely be able to find a lawyer to take your case, and you probably have a good shot at a settlement either way. It sounds like you are more interested in the truth (and damages recovered if they were truly at fault). This could very well be a case of a bad outcome not due to negligence, but I would be suspicious.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 PM

LOL.

I got a 2006, it's pretty f'ing sweet.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:31 PM

I really didn't think there was malpractive involved, but, maybe there was.

I really just want to know if I got pwne3d because i didnt have insurance.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:38 PM

You were in college when this happened right? Wouldn't you still be covered by your parents insurance because you were a student?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Sounds like possible malpractice. If you're going to do anything about it, get a lawyer immediately and make sure the statute hasn't expired. It sounds like you might be close to the deadline.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:10 PM