Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Still trying to learn NL - Is this a value bet?

No reads. If this is a value bet, what's a decent amount? 1/2 pot? 1/3 pot? I play limit, so it looked like an easy beat to get value from a worse T or an idiot with 22-99 or something. Here I feel like the only possible hands I might get called by that I beat are JT-KT.

Also, should I raise this hand preflop in this position?

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $50
UTG+1: $53.25
UTG+2: $47.25
Hero: $81
MP2: $18.55
MP3: $159.51
CO: $28.60
Button: $50.25
SB: $44.20
BB: $50.05

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, 2 folds, BB checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.75, 5 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets $1.75</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5</font>, 3 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($12.75, 2 players)
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($28.75, 2 players)
UTG+2 checks, Hero
Old 04-24-2006, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Still trying to learn NL - Is this a value bet?

I see the problem here being, what will you do if he raises you. in this hand I would probably bet something like $10-$13. if he makes a substantial raise I am out of the hand, but I think this is an ok hand to get a value bet into.

watch him call and turnover 53s, haha.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:46 AM

I raise preflop and yes this is pretty thin. I guess if he really sucks we will call you with a worse ten, but I would never bet this river if I thought the opponent was decent (I would bet it if villian was a sherif who would put me on a draw and call down).
Old 04-24-2006, 02:48 AM

I don't really seem him calling a large bet here with a hand you beat when you only have TPTK. Anything he can legitimately raise you with has you beat. I think I check this down here 90% of the time.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:06 AM

i help cause your name is xellos and he gosu BW player

anywho, your line does sorta scream out limit convert

First of all, i would fold pf. This is not the type of hand you want to play oop facing a raise.

Second of all, the flop situation is why you fold this hand pf. You are oop in a multiway pot that probably hit at least someone nicely. I think re-raising this bet is suicide w/ 3 ppl behind you and someone coming out betting w/ so many ppl to act. This is not a time you want to play a big pot. At the same time just calling puts you in a world of trouble as well as any draw and there mother can see a turn.

As played bet on turn is cool, and to answer your main question I probably just check behind on the river unless I have a read.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:16 AM

There is a couple of possibilites of what your opponent holds, especially since you have no read. He could have been betting a flush draw and missed it, it's a small raise on the flop for him to call with one, although him calling on the turn with that draw is less likely. He obviously has to put you on probably at least a ten since you've raised him, so he isn't going to try and bluff you on this river because he expects you to at least call here since nothing truly scary has come down on the turn or river. I would expect most people to lead a monster here, but they might go with the check raise. Either way I say check it because you have protected your hand against every draw, and if he makes a raise here you might fold the best hand; it's true he could have a ten but it seems like a negative bet.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:17 AM

1) there is no raise preflop, please read first.
2)wrong again, you need to see where you are at in this hand
3) if the player was decent u can value bet the river, if i think he could have the winning hand i would check it..

But if i may ask please read before you comment on something
Old 04-24-2006, 03:35 AM

I think he spiked a 7 on the turn for a set. But a busted flush is also possible.

I'm not sure about that limit but at 0.01/0.02 there's always people calling down boards with middle pair good kicker (A7 seems quite likely).

I think you need to check the river. You're probably behind, who smooth calls an $8 bet on the turn then checks the river?

I think he has the set because he did bet out on the flop. He appears to bet an amount that says "I might have caught a piece of it, but I'm not sure". Tough to tell without having a read on him.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 AM

i think you are up vs 10-q or 10k here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

care to show the results?
Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 AM

1.) I did read it, there are 6 ppl behind him left to act, calling A10s w/ 6 ppl left to act when you are not well versed in NL hold em is a losing play and there is really no reason for it.

2.) Flop situation is perfect example of why you fold this preflop. I didn't say one is better then the other in my op but I DO think a raise is better. It's just not a play a beginner needs to be making in this sort of spot. Playing a big pot w/ TPTK in a multiway limped pot oop is not something you want to do.

but if i may ask please read before you comment on something qO_o