Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 08:25 AM

Default Questions and thoughts about semi-bluffing

First of all, I play NL30.

Lately I've been thinking about semi-bluffing.
I often use the semi-bluff, especially with flush draws, because:

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I get more money in the pot, and that will be harder once the third card of your suit hits the board. (Betting for value)

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I often get the pot right there, which makes up for the missed draws.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Table image. Deception. The opponents don't know if I'm betting for value or semi-bluffing.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Inducing bluffs when you hit your draw.

Here's an example of a semi-bluff I make:
I limp in late position with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with already several limpers. The flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

OK, here's a good flop: there's high cards (many players have paired their cards), straight draws, and flush draws, but I've got the best draw. I'm in late position: if someone bets, I raise. If no one bets, I bet 1/2-1/1 pot (if I think someone might check-raise me, a check is in order). If I'm in early position, I usually bet atleast 1/2 pot.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Here I continue to put more money in the pot. Usually 1/2 pot.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Dream card, I have the nuts. And the others propably have no idea. They propably think I'm very scared of this card.
I'm in late position: Often opponents might try to bluff me now (this is good. I extracted maximum from my draw); I ofcourse raise.
I'm in early position: I often check, or put in a really weak bet. Strong betting, and then when the third suit hits, and I show weakness -> bluff inducer. Many opponents put a large bet in here as a bluff. But bluff inducing depends alot on ones reads on opponents.

If this were a straight draw I hit, I would ofcourse just continue betting, because I won't induce a bluff when my straight card hits.

And now to the questions.

Do you think I semi-bluff too much? I often make this play on draws.

Should I take more free cards that I get from raising the flop, or continue putting more money into the pot on the turn?

Should I attempt a semi-bluff if I have very little chance to get the pot right there?

With this kind of semi-bluffing, I'm often making the pot bigger while I'm behind. Getting more money in the pot with a draw..is that just stupid?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Questions and thoughts about semi-bluffing

if out of position pot it hoping for a raise so you can push.

When you hit on the river, make a real value bet, nobody is going to raise you because they think you're weak, this is ssnl.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Questions and thoughts about semi-bluffing

My two cents:

- First I think in general you need yo keep the feet on the ground and judge if there is in reality FE or not.
At some tables at 25NL people are incredibly weak-tigh and there are TONS of FE, and others there is 0% FE.

- Second, not sure if it is worth semi-bluffing just to make a larger pot, specially out of position.

And I'm not going to make a 2nd barrel semi-bluff OOP, so maybe this can be a good idea with position. (Because it is really awful when you fire the first and don't do the second.)

When you fire the second barrel in position opponent has checked twice so he will usually be holding a weak hand. Also, if you are not sure you can always check. (Even is this shout FLUSH DRAW!).

Maybe the correct idea is that you can't make a lot of value of all your draws. You need to wait to good oportunity, specially multiway pots are very good and large pots, where ypu usually get incredibly good odds to draw.

Other good situations can be against known bluffers, raising them with some outs in case he calls.

regards,

dardo